chapter fourty-five

Vanessa's point of view

"If you could be anything in the world Ashton, what would you be? Besides the occupation you have now of course." I said and he hummed.

"I'd be an astronaut." He said and I looked at him. "I feel like it'd be cool to find out more about the universe and stuff. You?"

"My dream job, besides taking my dad's place in the hall of fame..." I said and he laughed. "If we're not talking about music jobs, I'd want to own a restraunt. I've always enjoyed cooking and baking, I feel like if I tried, I could make a profession out of it if this music stuff goes south."

"You can cook pretty well." He said and I smiled, feeling a bit cocky. "Have you packed for the UK yet?" He asked and I nodded.

"I left some stuff out, but yeah I'm packed." I told him and he nodded. "What's it like always being on the go? Like, Calum said it's thrilling but... but is it really?"

"Explain what you mean by that."

"Like, yeah it seems fun, but it seems... tiring I guess. You can never just sit down and enjoy where you are, you're up and down. You wake up in one city and go to sleep in another just to repeat it. The fast life seems... it seems more exhausting than it is thrilling, especially when you have to perform and stuff." I told him and he shrugged.

"It gets tiring but like-you just gotta think to yourself like-man, I'm in another city with my brothers and we're doing what love to people who love us and it's just, it's enough to keep your eyes open and to keep you up and ready to go." He said and I nodded.

"I don't know if you can relate, but when you grow up in a small town and go to a school where no one really talks to you, a family that's not as great as it could be, and you're barely scraping by, then you come to a life like this it's just-it's amazing. It's so fulfilling and it's so... and you feel so proud of yourself and grateful for those who help you get to where you are, from a small town in Australia to all over the world. It's really a... sit back and enjoy the ride kind of thing because it's going to end soon whether we want it to or not." He said and I chuckled.

"Thanks for making my heart stop." I said and he laughed. "I don't mean to sound weird, but this band helped me through so much. I can't really explain it because it's just so much, but the idea of this band stopping one day is enough to make me cry. You guys really took a huge toll on my life, before I knew you and after." I told him and he nodded.

"You see, that's literally why we keep making music. Not only do we enjoy it, not only does it help us, but if we can write a song that can help someone, that's it. We already made it. Doesn't matter if it's number one, if it gets recognition by media, or whatever. If it can make someone think life is worth living or help them be more themselves, then we already won." He said and I smiled.

"I remember going on Twitter and seeing so much shit on you guys and how you're rude, right? I'd sit there and think, I wish I knew what they were like behind closed doors, and now, I wish I never doubted this band. You're really only rude when you're mad." I said and he laughed as he grabbed his bottle of beer.

"Lots of crazy stories come up." He said and I nodded. "I wonder what's up now." He said and pulled his phone out.

I glanced at it and his timeline was buzzing about the UK tour, an upcoming award show, 'Calessa', 'Larzaylea', Coachella, and my phone number. "Let's leave now." He said and I laughed lightly.

"Aww Cal." He said and showed me a picture. "He's smiling so big." He told me and I smiled myself.

"He's so cute, look at him, oh my god." I said and fell back on to the grass, covering my face with my hands. "I'm going to cry, he's too adorable."