Chapter 6

I entered Niall's small apartment very slowly. I haven't been in an actual home for at least a year and a half. I stood in the door way, tears threatening to fall over. I couldn't hold them in any longer, so I just let them fall.

"Whats with you?" Niall said harshly. "I um haven't been in an actual home for a few years now." I laughed mocking at how pathetic I am. "Oh." Niall said and walked to a room down the hall.

I looked around to take in my surroundings and made my way very cautiously to the couch. I sat down on the old looking couch and immediately started crying hard. I wonder if my foster parents ever think about me? Did they care when I left? I doubt it. I heard Niall walk back in the room. "Can you keep it down? my grandmother is in the other room sleeping." I pulled myself together. "Sorry." I mumbled.

He sighed. "No, I'm sorry for treating you badly the last hour." I just nodded. He walked over to the couch and sat beside me. "When do you want me to leave? I'll go tomorrow morning if you want." I didn't want to intrude on his life. "Stay for as long as you want." He whispered. I nodded again. "Emma?" "Yeah?" I sniffled. "Why are you homeless." Did he seriously have to ask that?

I sighed. "Well it's a long story. Get comfortable. He shifted around in his seat. "When I was young, very young. My mother gave me up for adoption. I got adopted almost instantly. The next day I think." He nodded. "They were very good parents to me. They told me I was adopted when I was 15. It felt like my whole life was a lie you know? And that's when it all went downhill. My foster mother Ruby, started being very mean to me. And my foster father Chuck, he actually started.." I stopped. "He what?" Niall said encouraging me to go on. "He started abusing me. Hitting me, punching me." I felt him tense up. I cleared my throat. "Also verbally. They were so cruel. They called me ugly, worthless, hopeless. I got sick and tired of it. So, when I was 17, I ran away. As far as possible. And I wound up here." I wiped my eyes. And gave him a small smile. That smile broke. And more tears came.

Niall took me in his arms and hugged me. I was surprised, but didnt protest. I just cried into his shoulder. Being in his arms made me feel like everything was gonna be okay. Our little embrace ended, and we just stared at eachother. I admired his features. He was actually very attractive. Blonde messy hair, a lip ring, and these amazing blue eyes; like none I've never seen before. And that smile. Wow. I snapped myself out of my daze and looked at my fingers.

He cleared his throat. "Do you wanna take a shower?" My eyes went wide. "Not with me, not with me." I laughed at him, which caused him to laugh with me. "Yes, I'd love to take a shower." I smiled.

"Alright, but you'll have to use my grandmothers shampoo. I'm sure she won't mind." He said while bringing me to the bathroom. I nodded, happy as a clam I can take a shower.

"I don't have any other clothes then these." I said pointing to my clothes before I entered the bathroom. "Take them off, and put them in the hamper. You can wear a pair of my sweats and one of my shirts. I nodded, and shut the bathroom door.

I leaned on the back of the door and smiled. I peeled off my clothes and put them in the hamper. I looked at my naked body in the mirror. You can see my ribs. I frowned and started the shower.

I stepped in, and watched the dirt fall off of my body. I stayed in the shower for at least 40 minutes. But who could blame me? I haven't showered in months. I bathed in a pond.. I stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my body. I felt so good. So happy. I looked at the window and it looked to be about 8:30 (a.m).

I sighed and walked to the door, I opened it slowly. There were the clothes Niall left me. I picked them up and put on the sweats. They were so comfy. But wear is my bra? I searched the hamper. Ah, here it is. It had holes and was dirty but it's better then nothing. I put on my bra, and the shirt Niall left me. I found a brush by the sink and ran it through my hair quickly. I should get it cut professionally sometime. I usually cut it if it gets to long. I may be homeless, but I keep my hair in good shape. I nodded in approval at my reflection and opened the door slowly and walked out to the living room area.

"Niall?" I softly called. "Over here." I followed his voice which led to the kitchen.

"Hi." I said quietly. "Hey." He said leaning on the counter.

"Oh my dear hello!" Said an old lady walking towards me. She had curly short snow white hair. She pulled me into her arms and hugged me as tight as she could. "Hello." I giggled. "Why aren't you just gorgeous, sweet heart." She had the same accent as Niall. "Thank you." I smiled. "It's so nice to finally meet Niall's girlfriend." She said with an innocent smile. "Girlfriend?" I repeated.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, so. If you're having trouble imaging what Emma looks like. I picture her to look like, I picture Emma to look like Ginny Gardner. :)