Tears

Requested on Tumblr 1/? of the "Things You Said..." series.

In which Farkle finds Riley in tears.

Rating K+: there's no cursing, just like one word that makes me wary about marking it as complete K.

Words: 942

#31 "Things you said while I cried in your arms."

As soon as he pushed aside the curtains in Riley's bay window Farkle could tell something was wrong. The usually well-lit room was engulfed in darkness. He knew for a fact she wasn't asleep, her bunny night light—a cute habit she still hadn't outgrown—was nowhere to be seen.

"Riley," He crawled in through the window, careful not hit his head. "Are you in here?" Farkle asked uncertainly. A sense of foreboding washing over him as he squinted into the dark room.

Something wasn't right.

Below him a feeble voice rang out, "Down here." Farkle knew it would be logical to search for the light switch instead of pulling out his phone. But logic and reason went out the window when it came to Riley. Lifting his phone above his head he used it as a makeshift flashlight, almost dropping it when it finally cast a light on Riley. She was sitting on the floor in front of her bay window, hugging her legs to her chest. her face covered in tears.

Tossing his phone aside Farkle dropped to his knees, immediately reaching for Riley and pulling her into his arms. The floor was cold and unforgiving, a sharp contrast from Riley's warm trembling body. He felt something cool trickle down his arm, startling him a moment before he realized it was just Riley's tears. The reality not making him feel any better.

Shifting into a more comfortable position he hugged Riley closer, running his hand up and down her back in what he hoped was a soothing motion. In the midst of heartbreaking sobs he was finally able to piece together what had happened.

Riley had forgotten her notebook in her last class of the day, Chemistry. While she was in the empty classroom her boyfriend, scratch that, ex-boyfriend, Jason (also a football player) had come into the classroom not knowing that she was in there and had gotten hot and heavy with one of the girls who were known to worship the football players. Long story short, an argument ensued, in which he called Riley a prude and then dumped her.

Farkle was going to kill Lucas the next time he saw him. Riley and Jason had been his idea.

"Shhh," Farkle said smoothing down her hair, "Don't cry Riley. He's a jerk who didn't deserve your love in the first place." It hurt Farkle to think that Riley had fallen in love with that conceited asshole. "You'll find someone better someday and all this will be something you can laugh at. Trust me. Please don't cry Riley." Farkle pleaded, rocking her back and forth. Her sobs finally subsided leaving Farkle with an aching heart and a wet T-shirt. Reaching into his coat pocket he produced a handkerchief and began to slowly wipe away at the tears that were glistening in the moonlight.

"I don't know what I'd do without you," Riley whispered, smiling slightly at the fact that Farkle was probably the only one who carried a handkerchief anymore.

"That's one thing you never have to worry about," Farkle reassured her, tucking her hair behind her ear, his hand lingering little too long on her face. "I'm not going anywhere. I'm Canada, remember?"

Across the room his phone vibrated on the hardwood floor, Farkle let out a small laugh. "Except that was probably my mom. I should be getting home now."

Helping Riley off the floor he gently suggested that maybe she should get ready for bed. It was already 9 o'clock and after the day she had had he was sure she was exhausted. Turning on the light he located his phone before exiting the room to give her some privacy. The Matthews apartment was dark, Mr. and Mrs. Matthews were on a date and Riley had said something about Auggie going to a sleep over at Dewey's.

He hated that Riley still felt the need to hide her issues and deal with them alone. If he hadn't come over she probably wouldn't have told anyone.

Finding a pencil he scribbled a quick note on a scratch piece of paper. Not wanting to divulge many details he purposefully left it vague.

Riley had a rough day at school today. Please check on her before you go to bed.

-F. Minkus

He left it on the kitchen table where he knew they would find it later. Deciding he'd given Riley enough time he headed back to her room.

Farkle knocked twice before he was finally granted permission to enter.

Riley had changed into a loose t-shirt and a pair of comfy looking pants.

"Are you going to be okay?" He asked, helping her into bed.

Riley gave him a tired smile, "I'll be fine, I promise."

Farkle nodded, locating the night light he plugged it in before flipping the switch again. This time the room descended into a soft glow. The little bunny stationed on the wall the sole protector of Riley Matthews.

He placed a soft kiss on her forehead before whispering, "Good night." But he didn't get a response, she was already fast asleep.

Exiting the bay window he sent up a small prayer that everything would be alright. 

oOo

The next time Riley fell crying into his arms, was a cold December day their freshman year of college when after 3 years of dating he dropped onto one knee and asked her for her hand in marriage.

She didn't so much fall as she did tackle him, peppering his face with kisses and loud exclamations of, "Yes Farkle Minkus, I will marry you. A thousand times yes!"