Grief

Farkle is unable to deal with the death of Riley.

Rating T: Character death, mentions of suicide

Words: 434

In which grief wins.

"I'm done. Okay? I give up." Farkle stood on the rooftop, soaked head to toe. "It hurts too much." He wiped at his eye, the drenched sleeve doing nothing to clear his vision.

"I wish I had never met her. I wish I had never fell in love with her. I wish she had never fallen in love with me. I wish I had never married her." He was lying through his teeth but he didn't care. He would give anything to not feel anymore pain. The grief was slowly but surely eating him up, leaving him unable to function. It was killing him.

Just like that drunk driver had killed her.

He would never hear her laugh again. He would never be able to hold her, to make love to her, to start a family with her. He had thought their time endless but instead it had been snatched away, leaving him distraught.

"I wish I could have been the one who had died instead of her. I wish it was me driving that car instead of her. Why couldn't it have been me?" He yelled, knowing that no one was going to answer. He was alone, he would be for the rest of his life.

"Why did you have to take her? What did she ever do to you? Why did you take her away from me?" He raged waving his fist angrily. "She was the best thing that ever happened to me!"

"I hate you!" Farkle shouted at the sky, "I hate you for doing this to me Riley." She would forever remain his strength and his weakness.

Above him the sky crackled, the white blinding flash, followed by a deafening boom. "I'm never going to come back from this and it's all your fault."

He fell to his knees, his shoulders heaving as the rain fell in around him. "I hate you so much," he rasped, his eyes stinging. The tears fell freely, his broken sobs louder than the metallic pound of the rain on the roof. How long he cried he didn't know. All he knew was that his knees were aching and he didn't feel any better than before. Above him the sky had cleared, a rainbow was now spreading across the skyline. He could picture her looking down at him, a sad smile on her face.

"I love you." His voice was hoarse, he was tired and it was time to say goodbye.

"Save a place for me." He said to her, before stepping onto the ledge, "I'll see you soon."

And then he jumped.