Phase 1 Accidental Rendezvous

"Daley, baby, if you grow up successful and strong to amount to something, no one will every treat you like you are nothing. No one will ever disrespect you. You'll have servants bowing down at your feet. Don't that sound like the good life, suga? Something that us 'bama folk ain't used to ainna?" - Teetee Nona.

Daley Blessing

I admired my dear Aunt Nona's words that I had embellished into my mahogany desk. The words were in cursive, so they looptey-looped with every letter. I rubbed my hard red acrylic nails into the dark brown crevices as I recited her words aloud. Ambition lacerated my tone as I spoke with determination. As I finished up, I grabbed a hold of the ends of the desk and spun my large leather desk chair that was imported from India, around to captivate my view of Potomac, Maryland.

Ah, Potomac. I loved it like that ghetto rapper, uh what's his name? Ah, yes, that god awful Drake, I love it like he loves Canada. I'd define Potomac as the place where the synthetic grass is greener.... Because pathetic middle and lower class men tend to it. I looked down at my city with a glare. I owned everything here. From the monumental mansions to the intimidating court house. Not officially, but everyone knew that this city was mines. I was queen. And no one could tell me any different.

A loud thunderclap followed by sounds of rushing raindrops startled me as it ripped me from my thoughts. Looking through the glass I seen it was a clear, sunny day indeed. So where was this noise of such grief coming from? I rolled my eyes once I realized what was making the treacherous noise. My office phone. I leaned over and stretched my long arms out to capture the phone that was ringing off of the hook.

I shoved the phone to the side of my face and separated my moist lips that were subdued in Saint Laurent Rouge Pur Couture. "What" I scrunched up my nose as my face became hard. "Eh em" she cleared her parched throat. "Uh, Mrs.Bl-"

"How much times do I have to tell your God damn, servant ass that it's miss!?" I'm pretty sure that she was quivering from the sound of my voice because of the sudden shuffling of papers that I had heard on the other end as if she had dropped them. "M-ms.Blessing. I am terribly sorry-" she said before I interjected. "I bet" I stated. The bitch was yucky. I didn't understand why I had a woman that lives in the projects working for me. All I know is I damn sure wasn't the one that hired her, for I wasn't in charge of that sort of things. I mean, the woman had no type of fashion sense for pete's sake! Who wears Payless shoes to work? That's like shopping at goodwill!

She cleared her throat for the hundredth time. "Miss, I have an important inquiry from your great Aunt Nona. She asks what time are you two meeting for lunch?"

My mood softened when I heard my teetee's name. She's all I've got. She's the only family member that I can honestly tolerate. The only one that understood me.

"Tell her that I'm on my way to pick her up" and with that, I hung up.

I sat like a lady at the table as I grabbed my champagne glass. I automatically held my empty cup out waiting for the pissy waiter to pour me more. The Italian man held the dripping bottle of Chardonnay at my glass and poured the acidic fluid in. I motioned for him to stop at the halfway mark and then shooed him away with a wave of the hand. I sipped it, placing my fingers on the stem of it, drinking it classily. As I placed it down, I eyed Nona as she ate her crème brûlée.

Her eyes rolled under her Prada shades. I could see it because of the way that the sun from the windows beamed into the inside of the brown lenses. Her usual cinnamon complexion was starting to fade a tad, you could see it in her face. Her chignon bopped as she rolled her neck with an eyebrow raised and her mouth turned up on one side. As she opened her mouth, her expensively flawless dentures showed.