[KR] Monstar

MONSTAR

SYNOPSISWhen a crazed fan takes it too far with Yoon Seol Chan (Yong Jun Hyung), member of top K-pop boy band Men in Black, he lashes out at her

SYNOPSIS
When a crazed fan takes it too far with Yoon Seol Chan (Yong Jun Hyung), member of top K-pop boy band Men in Black, he lashes out at her. But in the age of viral videos, no indiscretion is forgiven, especially this one. To take the heat off the ensuing media fiasco, Seol Chan's management company quietly shoos him off to school, where he is joined by a group of misfits, including transfer student Min Se Yi (Ha Yeon Soo), a talented oddball from New Zealand. In true coming-of-age fashion, this exiled group of students discovers the connections that bind them together: music and friendship. It's back to school for the surly Seol Chan, but is he willing to learn anything new?

# of Episodes and Length
12 Episodes; each about an 1hr

Cast Members
Yong Joon Hyung as Yoon Sul Chan
Ha Yeon Soo as Min Sae Yi
Kang Ha Neul as Jung Sun Woo
Ahn Nae Song as Han Ji Woong
Kim Min Young as Sim Eun Ha
Park Kyu Sun as Cha Do Nam
Kang Ui Sik as Park Gyu Dong
Kim Da Hee as Kim Nana
Kim Yoo Hyun as Ma Hyo Rin
Yoon Jong Hoon as Shin Jae Rock
Jo Jae Yoon as Manager Hong

Review

1 out of 5, with Updated Review

(Updated review before the cut,  July 10 2017)

This drama wasn't much of a favorite for me, as look back on it, it just really really dragged for me. Ya know? That feeling when you're watching a drama and it's getting to the point where you're just annoyed from watching it? That's what occurred with me. This drama was kind of the main reason why I love GLAM and Kang Haneul though. 

Although I don't remember much from the drama, since it's been a few years since I watched it, I do have to restate that the OST of this drama was really really astounding - it's very well put together and a good listen. 

That's all i have to really say in this 'updated review, just that the drama was really a drag to watch and I didn't enjoy much except the OST.

----

SPOILERS AHEAD, aka I summarized rather talking about it - bc it wasn't rly my jam n i didnt know what to say @ the time 

This drama is quite old, (it's almost 3 years since then?) but it was quite fun to watch.

Okay first of all, THE SECOND MALE LEAD SYNDROME IS HELLA IN THIS DRAMA. Personally, I didn't think 'Yoon Sul Chan' was really attractive in the first place... But also Kang Ha Neul is like my favorite actor of all time, the story is basically this girl moves back to Korea after being in some other state (but surprisingly still speaks Korean??). She leaves her mom back in New Zealand because she was mad at her for some reason, her father died, blah blah blah. She goes to school and ends up in the same class room as Jung Sun Woo(Second male lead), who likes Min Sae Yi ever since she lived in Korea (so basically since he was 12 ish). So he ends up liking her again, but then lord and behold Yoon Sul Chan. Sul Chan is an idol who has to go back to school, because of random shit.

He and a bunch of others get into this performance thing because the 'amazing cool rich' group didn't want to do it, so they make a group called 'The Color Bars'. Then shit goes down: Sae Yi finds this guy that was her fathers best friend back in high school, Kim Na Na (a member of the group) is like a gangster but wants to become a designer??, Cha Do Nam and Park Gyu Dong have a dark past (They both auditioned for this thing similar to American Idol, and they end up having to be separated and Do Nam gets mad and bullies him into high school, Sim Eun Ha is a die hard fan of Sul Chan's group MIB (Men in Black) and gets EMO bc she knows he likes Sae Yi, AND THEN the 'amazing cool rich' group decides to be like: hey fuck u. And says they want to do the performance to represent their school, so then BOTH teams battle for the place.

Blah blah blah

The rich people win because the principle favors them more, despite the other team having an idol?????

Now even more shit goes down, ok but tbh;

This drama was so confusing

The only cons I can think of is the music, like the music and singing was just amazing. LIKE ESPECIALLY THIS ONE, OH MY GOD...

The plot itself wasn't that bad, but it was just to crowded. Thy had amazing stories, just really hectic.

Basically:

Sae Yi
- guitarist
- singer
- likes Sul Chan

Sul Chan
- idol
- likes Sae Yi

Sun Woo
- guitarist
- likes Sae Yi
- second male lead

Ji Woong
- Sae Yi's fathers friend in high school
- used to be a world famous composer, but got into a car accident and now he's like a hobo
- he gave The Color Bars a place to practice

Eun Ha
- likes MIB
- Sae Yi's first friend when she came back
- an emotional ball of fluff who needs hugs
- is just there for moral support TBH

Do Nam
- ball o fluff as well
- he just wants to beat box man
- low key still wants to be friends w Gyu Dong

Gyu Dong
- he needs hugs
- he was bullied a lot
- singer

Kim Nana
- I love her like omfg
- gangster girl who's a softie
- LIKES SUN WOO, LIKE SO MUCH OU H
- IS A REALLY GOOD SINGER AND HAS MANY SURPRISES

Hyo Rin
- I hate her and her brother
- rich kid who's a dick
- musician

Manager Hong
- honestly the best guy ever in the entire drama
- he holds a pillow of Sul Chan's face everywhere lmao