Chapter 2

"I see you already made some friends, oh with boys, too." My mom says right before I open the door.

"With girls, mom. Girls can play basketball, too." I correct her.

"Fine, fine, that's true."

"And what about your progress in making friends?"

"You know what, it's starting right now, with the next door neighbors." She walks with me outside and goes straight to the door where the boys came out. How could I be so lucky?

"Mom, are you inviting them to dinner?"

"That's a great idea. Oh, you can even invite your friends you met. By now I think I won the little friend making challenge." Seconds later her fist is knocking on the door. Tatiana and Dinah see my mom knocking and meet me halfway walking down the hill.

"Is she inviting them for dinner?" Dinah asks excitedly.

"Yep, and she said you guys can come." The girls get so excited and hug me.

"D, these boys are gonna be in the same house with us, and we're probably gonna go to Cassie's room..with them!" Tatiana gets even more excited. And it just crossed my mind. We don't have a dining room. So close to playing basketball with cute guys watching.

"Guys, ummm, you go play basketball. I suddenly can't make it."

"Wait, why? We need you as our wing girl." D says.

"We don't have a dining room! Sorry, have fun!" I yell jogging back to my mom. They both look confused but shrug and walk towards the court. Shoot, she's already inside. Before I can knock on the door it opens.

"Well hello." He looks me up and down and licks his lips. Since when did he come back? The Hispanic guy from earlier is checking me out with no mercy.

"Hi, umm, my mom is here and I need to talk to her."

"I'll show you, she's over here." I walk in and he closes the door behind me and shows the way. He holds the kitchen door open for me and I see my mom.

"Cassandra, what's up?" The boy, his mom, and the baby all stare at me waiting for my reply. I can't just say that we don't have a dining room in front of everyone. I wave my mom closer to whisper it in her ear.

"What?" She asks confused.

"I have to whisper it."

"OK?" She leans over so I can whisper.

"We don't have a dining room." Now everyone seems confused by the awkward moment I've just created.

"Dinner at seven thirty. Is that OK with you?" My mom asks nonchalantly.

"Sure. I'll tell everyone." The boy's mom smiles towards Daniel and at me. OK, this is getting a little too awkward for me.

"Nice meeting you guys, bye." I wave at the baby and he waves back, so cute. Everyone says bye and my mom and I leave. The guy says bye again and closes the door behind us. We both run to the car amused by our current situation.

"OK we have six hours to get a dining room and your bedroom. We got this." My mom puts a destination in her GPS and we speed off.

"Why do we need to make my bedroom?"

"Do you really wanna know, Cassandra? Because you know your mom doesn't have a filter." Every time she says this I get scared because she really does not have a filter.

"I guess." I prepare myself for what I'm about to hear.

"Daniel was really staring at you the whole time you were there. Like checking you up and down and left and right and around and around. Thanks to your mother you have a butt like mine. But anyways, just so you can be in a room with him, if you know where I'm heading here, chica."

Every single time I always regret hearing what my mom has to say when she gives me the filter warning. So his name is Daniel? I would say I wish she was lying but I really don't. A guy like him checking me out, I'm OK with. But my mom really has no chill.

• • • • • 20 minutes later

We pull up to this place that sells furniture and run inside to one of the front desks.

"You guys have workers, right?" My mom asks. "Like to decorate rooms."

"Yes, how many do you need?" The lady asks. My mom looks at me and back to the lady.

"Eight."

"Oh, OK then." The lady raises her eyebrows in shock. She types on her computer some. "When and where do you need them?"

"ASAP, as in today, as in now. Here's my address." She writes it down and gives it to the lady.

"Wow, OK that'll be-"

"Just here's my card. We're gonna write down the things we want and have them come and place it at our house and start." My mom does not play. "Honey, where's your house keys I gave you?"

I take it out my pocket and give it to her. She hands it to the lady.

"If they get there early. OK remember ASAP." We go around and pick out all the things we want.

• • • • • Ten minutes later

I give my mom my paper and she places it on the lady's desk. She hands it to one of the workers and they get to picking.

"Mom, how do you have money for all this stuff?"

"I have an emergency card with lots of money on it. You need to get one when you're eighteen." She types another destination as we're walking outside. "We also need food, what do you want for dinner?"

"Chicken Alfredo." We get in the car and my mom starts driving.

• • • • • 10 minutes later

"Get three types of pasta and broccoli, I'll get the rest." I jog through isles and get the two ingredients and meet my mom in line. Her phone rings and she answers. Ooh Snickers. I add it on our pile of food. Tonight's dinner is gonna be so good.