Chapter 2: When You Look Me In The Eyes

Start from the beginning

I backed away from Luke and the interviewer. Neither of them noticed my absence because they were both too focused on Luke. I headed straight into the party. I walked in looking for the bar. I was gonna make Luke regret ignoring me and blocking me out. I ordered my favorite drink, downed it, and then ordered a second one.

I couldn't believe he was going to just block me out like that. Just decide what I was going to do. I'm so mad but I don't want to be too irrational. I'm not gonna like, sleep with some other guy. I just need to do something small. Something that will fill my desire for risk but won't be too much damage to Luke's image because even though he's being an absolute dick to me I'm not that kind of girl. And I care about him more than I have ever cared about a guy before, even though we just met. He's different from other people I've been with before. I don't want to completely ruin this because of a stupid phone call.

I walk around the party for a little bit, half thinking of things I could do and half looking for Luke. I don't want to go through all the effort of pissing him off when he's not even there. After about 30 minutes I finally see Luke walk in. I still have no idea what I'm going to do but now I know he's here and hopefully looking for me. He goes straight to the bar while I stay right where I am, which is about 30 feet from Luke.

I'm so focused on him that I don't realize when another guy walks up next to me. "Uh, hey." I jump a little at his voice. My heart skips a beat when I realize who it is, Dak Zevon. His father was the late musician Warren Zevon.  "Oh sorry, didn't mean to scare you. You just seemed lonely so I thought I might talk with you or something..." He's nervous, it's cute. "Are you here with someone?" He asks.

I look back to Luke but he hasn't seemed to notice me. "Kind of. But I'm not right now, so..."

I'm not good at flirting when I'm really just using someone. I've never done this before. But Dak is very good at flirting and he keeps the conversation light and playful for 20 minutes or so. It's not until Dak mentions that he thinks he's seen me come in with Luke that I remember I'm using Dak to make Luke jealous. I look back at the bar to find Luke glaring at me with the same look he had in the car. Maybe this was a little too much.

I turn back to Dak. "I need to use the restroom." I didn't really need to, I just figured I'd freshen up and go talk to Luke. I just need to separate myself from Dak. "It was nice meeting you." Dak says and smiles. The way he smiles seems to say that he sort of knew this wasn't going anywhere. He also probably noticed Luke and knew he was stepping on some toes.

I followed the signs to the bathroom but still managed to get lost. Now I'm in some weird secluded room with no furniture in it but a mirror and a lamp. Good thing I didn't actually have to use the bathroom. I check my makeup in the mirror and count to thirty, preparing to head back out to a steaming Luke.

Twenty-two, twenty-three, twenty-four, SLAM.

I turn around and see Luke standing in front of the shut door.

My heart's racing. I'm scared. I've never seen Luke look so mad. "I, uh, I'm sorry I didn't wait for you. I just needed a drink, and, yeah."

"What did you and Dak talk about for so long?" He says darkly.

My mind goes blank. "I, uh, I don't remember."

Luke chuckles, but there's something different about it. "You can't even remember one thing? That's weird because it seemed like you too were very wrapped up in each other." Luke starts moving close to me and I sort of just freeze. This isn't like Luke, but it's kind of hot. I don't know if that's what he's going for or if he's actually mad and I'm just being horny.

"Luke, Dak, and I were just talking." I'm trying to think of an excuse for why he shouldn't be mad when I remember why I was mad at him. "Just like you were talking to that reporter."