I smiled. The microwave dinged and pulled my plate out of it with one hand, while the other one tapped across my keyboard.

Paiten Hearth: life sciences is actually quite hard for me, but thank you😊. what are you doing?

Collin Mentjies: i'm chilling in my room listening to Bryson Tiller's album. Amanda tells me you like him?🙈

Paiten Harth: yes. i like this album. it's dope.

Collin Mentjies: yeah? what is your favourite song on the album?

Paiten Hearth: Right My Wrongs

Collin Mentjies: awe 🤙 mine is Exchange🍃✨.

I left Collin on delivered and went back upstairs with my plate. I ate the lasagne as quickly as I cold and went back to studying.

I knew that I'd had enough when I started writing a summary on the bacillus bacterium and my hand started going in small circles and I ended up doodling cloud-like figures over my words.

It was 01:00 then and I'd have to be up at 05:00 for school. I had Life Sciences first period, unfortunately.

I was already dressed in a pair of comfortable cotton shirts and a big tee shirt, so I plugged my phone in on the charger and turned down the sheets.

My eyes were already drooping but they fluttered open when my phone dinged with a message from Manda:

Manda🖤: did u talk to him? 😏

Pait👑💛: yeah. he's nice. i left him on delivered though, i had to study. i'm sleeping now.

Manda🖤: lmao realy? I'm pulling an all-nighter for this test 💪🏾💪🏾💪🏾

Pait👑💛: yeah must be nice to be writing after break.

Manda🖤: ok let me not keep you up. Goodnight baby girl, love u so so so much ❤❤❤❤

Pait👑💛: ily even more. so much more than you can even imagine.

I was long asleep before Manda sent her next text.

When my alarm rang four hours later, I was tempted to chuck the damn phone out of the window

When my alarm rang four hours later, I was tempted to chuck the damn phone out of the window. It was with great effort that I managed to make myself presentable in time.