FORTY-SEVEN; GONER

Start from the beginning

"Did Damon say we had to take her home?" He asked the blonde.

"Yup. And whatever Damon says, goes. Right?" Estella sarcastically said. With a roll of her eyes, she grabbed a magazine to begin reading while she waited for Meredith. The blonde scanned the magazine, yet her eyes peaked over the article when she saw Alaric walk in. Her eyes widened, putting the magazine in front of her face.

"Alaric's here," Estella mouthed at Jeremy.

The youngest Gilbert's eyebrows shot up as he subtly looked around to spot Alaric. When he did, he immediately straightened.

"What do we do?" Jeremy asked her quietly. Estella brought her finger to her mouth, signaling for him to be quiet. Jeremy nodded and sat back, pretending to look causal.

When Alaric walked away, Estella stood up and walked towards Elena's room. She saw the doppelgänger waking up, making her rush over. Estella placed her hand over Elena's, shushing her.

"Change of plans. We're heading home," Estella whispered. She motioned for Jeremy to come over and lift Elena up. While Jeremy did that, Estella called Caroline to inform her of what was happening. The bubbly blonde vampire promised to meet her at the Gilbert residence.

Estella grabbed Jeremy's arm, rushing the three of them out of the hospital in a flash. They stood outside the Gilbert house, which is when Caroline, Matt, and Tyler showed up to help Elena into the house.

"Couch," Caroline demanded.

"I'm fine. I just...I want something to eat first," Elena said to them, limping inside.

"We're on it, as soon as we make sure no one is lurking in the closets," Tyler replied with a smile. He and Matt walked up the stairs to check around the house.

"All right, couch, now!" Caroline ordered, leading Elena to the sofa.

"I told you I'm fine," Elena complained, landing on the soft furniture.

Estella grabbed a blanket off a chair and stepped over to Elena, looking at her pointedly.

"If the doctor says rest, you rest," Estella told her simply, opening the blanket and laying it on her gently.

"Now, what can I get you? Do you want some tea, maybe some vodka?" Caroline asked jokingly, a smile on her face. "Both will help you sleep."

Elena stared at Caroline, irritated with her coddling. Estella snickered and sat down next to Elena. She looked at Caroline, a smirk on her face. Caroline noticed the look and huffed, joining the two girls on the couch.

"I know, I'm being smothering. It's what I do," Caroline grumbled.

"No, it's-it's nice," Elena said with a kind smile.

"I'm thinking--maybe tea with vodka," Caroline suggested.

The two laughed. Caroline stood up and walked to the kitchen, preparing the drink for Elena. Estella sat still on the couch, watching as Elena stared at a picture. It was of a younger version of Elena, with her arms wrapped around her two adults.

"Those were your parents," Estella realized softly.

"Yeah," Elena replied, swallowing thickly. "They were...they were great. Really supportive. They always wanted the best for Jer and I. I loved them a lot."

"I get it," Estella responded with a nod of her head, eyes never leaving the picture. "You miss them, don't you?"

"Yeah." Elena sniffled and looked down. "With Alaric dying and nearly killing me, I'm feeling a little nostalgic of how it used to be. How simple everything was. Cheer, school, Matt. My biggest problem was what homecoming dress I was going to wear."