Chapter 2

Walking into school Monday morning feet different to me. The atmosphere had a different vibe to it. I wasn't sure if it was another rumor was going around or because everyone was looking at my freshly dyed hair. I could already hear the gossip. I hate red. Not in general, but in my hair because it's like having a period on my head. I just wanted to try it because my crush likes it.

I continued to walk towards my locker when I spotted Jermarius coming my way and thought about swerving or talking to him. My time had ran out for me and I had subconsciously choosen my answer when he pulled me into a hug. "Hey ma."

I pulled out of his hug and walked to my locker as I responded, "Find your 'ma' and tell her 'hey' cause I know that's not me

I pulled out of his hug and walked to my locker as I responded, "Find your 'ma' and tell her 'hey' cause I know that's not me."

"You always tripping."

"Not always. Cause then I would have been on the floor. But I still ain't get a hug or a proper greeting."

"Fine," he said pulling me into a hug. "Wassup 'Ris? How are you doing this fine morning?"

The ceiling and it's nice to know that the morning, but what about me."

If you haven't guessed it by now, I have a crush on him. He's partly the reason why I dyed my hair. The other reason is because I needed a new look. After hours of contemplation I dyed it red.

I have to admit for me, red is not a color I told myself I would even think about putting in my hair, but it really looks good.

I was snapped out my thoughts when I felt fingers running through my hair. "Red is a new color for you. I'd honestly never thought I'd see the day when you'd dye your hair red. Or dye your hair period."

"Well, I wanted to try something new and that meant a new hair color. You don't like it?"

"I do," he replied just as the bell rung, "I just find it funny that you dyed it my favorite color, that you swore you would never even think about wearing."

"I had a change of heart. Anyway, I have to get to class, walk me?"

He placed his arms around my neck and begun walking me to class. He was quiet for awhile before he started talking again. "You should dye it yellow next."

"Um...Nigga I ain't say I was taking suggestions." I pushed him away and was going to walk in my class when he pulled me back and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Gimme a kiss."

"Can't."

"And why not?"

"These lips." I pointed at my lips, "Are reserved for bae."

"And what I gotta do to become bae."

"Stop being a little hoe." And with That I turned and walked into my class, took a packet out of the bin and took my normal seat.

I was putting in my headphones and was going to make an attempt to do the warm-up when Demonda came and sat on my lap causing the earbuds to forcefully come out of my ear. Trying my hardest to ignore her, I continued to do my warm-up. Soon enough she wrapped her arms around my neck pushing a handful of her hair in my mouth.

"Hi Iris," she said as she rocked us back and forth.

"You're messing up my hair,"

Instead of letting go or loosening them, she wrapped them tighter. "Aren't I going to get a 'Hi' Iris."

"Hi demonda." She unwrapped her arms but didn't get off. I waited awhile, but as I noticed she was making herself comfortable, I pushed her off. I felt satisfied up until I realized that I was falling too.

"I see you two want to start the class period off with a lunch detention," I heard Mr. A say from behind me.

"Mr. A we're fine," we replied in unison.

"No, Mr. A I don't think they are," Ethan said.

 A I don't think they are," Ethan said

"Nigga stay where you at. There is a reason why across the room."

Our bickering continued and I was just getting started. I heard Mr. A calling out names and I assumed he was taking attendance. So when he called out my name I said 'here,' but instead of him moving on to the next person, the entire class was laughing at me.

It took me a while to understand why everyone was laughing and I finally realized why. I was angry and embarrassed. He had written my name on the bull-kaka list and that meant I was getting a lunch detention.

Looking up at the list, I noticed names from last week were still there and at the bottom was my name and Ethan's name. I noticed something wrong with the list but I couldn't put my finger on it. It was on the tip of my tongue. I didn't know what it was until I looked at Demonda and noticed that her name wasn't on the list.

This is cruelty. I thought teachers weren't supposed to show student favoritism but I guess that was life. I continued on my rampage ready to voice my opinion when the bell rung. Had I really just blown through first period. I was so lost in my thoughts I neglected the lesson and I knew I was going to have trouble learning on my own.

I grabbed my bag, stuffed my stuff in it, walked out the door and was met face to face with Jermarius. "How is it you get to me before I get to you, but your class is all the way across campus."

"Because I make it my job to make sure you make it to all your classes safely and on time."

The thing about Jermarius is that he's always there for me. I know at times I can be a real bitch but he understands me better than most people and I really appreciate it. I hadn't realized I spaced out until he was waving his hand in my face. "I'm sorry. I just-."

"It's ok ma. I Know how you are. But like I was saying, you going to the dance?"

"Nope."

"And why not?"

"I don't have a date."

"Well, you got yourself one."

I looked around, "where he at doe?

"Ma stop flagging."

"How am i even flagging when I don't have a flag."

"Girl I swear you gonna make me go crazy."

I smiled up at him "I know."
----------------------------
Questions, Comments, Concerns?