25

(all rights reserved)

                                                                                                   ZOE

MY FAMILY TOOK COLE in as one of their own.

From the moment we arrived on my Uncle Mike's farm, they treated him with kindness and nothing but love. That's just the way my family is. They are the kinds of people who help a friend in need or give their extra burger from McDonald's to a homeless person they see on the street.

We arrived in my hometown the night before my uncle's 'huge' cook out. Everyone on my mom's side had filled up my Uncle Mike's mammoth home and was waiting for our arrival. My aunts cooked dinner and my other uncles brought their decks of cards and checker boards.

No one bombarded me with questions as to who Cole exactly was to me, surprisingly. They just asked his name and if he was hungry then it went from there. It was a little overwhelming to see so much of my family at the same time but at the same time heartening.

My favorite cousins even showed up for the big occasion. They are who Cole and I are with right now.

We're sitting around the bonfire placed right outside the huge barn behind the house. The wood crackles as background static to our conversation. We jump from topic to topic, some serious that require opinionated speeches and others funny stories that have happened to us growing up that make me reminisce.

"Remember that time we tried to take out Zoe's loose tooth and ended up taking out two instead?" My cousin Rachel brings up the horrid story. Her eyes shut as she bursts out into laughter, every one else joins.

"Can we not?" I jokingly complain as I laugh along with them reluctantly. I look over at Cole who chuckles. He looks over at me and once he sees the glare I am giving him his smile drops. I can see him struggling to not let out another laugh.

"I think Cole would love to hear the story, it's a classic please Zoe?" My other cousin Johnny chips in. I look over at him, his pearly white dimpled smile taunts me. I sigh and place my hands over my eyes.

"Okay, okay!" I give in.

I hear a round of celebration and then my cousin, Mia jump in to the embarrassing story.

"Oh my god, greatest story ever. So, we were all maybe ten? I think Zoe was nine, the little youngin'." She giggles, "Zoe had been bugging us all for days about her loose tooth so we finally decided to do something about it."

"We got string and gathered around a doorknob." Rachel 's voice jumps in, "We barely had any idea what we were doing so instead of just tying the string around one tooth, we tied it around her two front teeth. You can see where this is going." She smiles.

"We made Zoe wait on the opposite side of the door and all three of us shut the door as hard as we could. Next thing we know, we hear Zoe crying her eyes out on the other side and also screaming her head off. We rush in and at Zoe's feet are her two front teeth." Johnny finishes the story.

Everyone including Cole bursts out into laughter. I can't help but join them as I think about that day.

"You guys are the worst." I joke.

"But you love us." Mia counters. I stick my tongue out at her teasingly.

Rachel yawns and gets up from her seat, "As much as I loved catching up with you all, I'm spent. And I know my mom is gonna make me help her in the kitchen all morning tomorrow, so goodnight you guys."

Mia stands up too, "You're right, I should head up too. It was nice talking and nice to meet you Cole." She acknowledges him.

"Nice to meet you too, all of you." He says in return.

"Night guys." Johnny stands to leave as well and my cousins walk back to the house together.

When I can't see them anymore, I look back to the burning fire before me.

"You want to take a walk?" I ask Cole, my eyes travel over to him. He nods and stands. He holds out his hand for me to take as he has done so many times before.

We walk aimlessly and end up under one of the huge willow trees that line my Uncle's long gravel driveway. He's put little white lights in all the trees. For the 'special occasion', he told us. They make the grass below us a lighter shade and the dark sky a little brighter.

I sit down under one and Cole follows suit. We both lean our backs against the bark of the tree. It's a warm night with a light breeze that blows over us every now and then.

I let my head lay on his strong shoulder.

"Your family is pretty amazing." His voice breaks through the tranquil silence. I nod.

"I missed them." I say. "I'm surprised all of my uncles haven't sat you down for the talk."

His body moves slightly as he laughs, "I don't even want to know what this talk is about."

I laugh as well, "Oh you know, just the usual. Don't break her heart or we'll find you and probably beat the shit out of you talk." I jest. His laughter continues.

When it dies down, I grab hold of his hand and absentmindedly play with his slender fingers.

"But on a serious note, please don't." I say in a voice not much louder than a whisper.

Cole moves so that he is now looking me in the eye, I see the confusion in his features. 

"Don't what?"

"Don't break my heart." I tell him. His hands go on either side of my face as he leans forward to place a kiss on my forehead. I close my eyes and he kisses each of my eyelids, then my cheek and finally our lips meet. Languidly, sedated, like we have all the time in the world.

He pulls away and I open my eyes.

"Zoe, I can't break your heart. I could never put you through pain. I can't because I-" he stops mid-sentence, takes a breath and then continues, "I can't bare to see you sad. I always want to see you smiling and laughing. I love your laugh. It makes my chest ache. I can't break your heart Zoe."

"Cole.."

"I can't because I am falling in love with you."

......................................................

A/N: Cliffyyyyy (;

LJKLFJAH HI GUYS IM SO SORRY IM SO SORRY IM SO SORRY

I know it's been like a million years since I've updated and I feel horrible ;(((((( I had so much going on in the last few weeks with personal stuff, family stuff and college stuff (yuck I don't wanna grow up).

So I understand if you hate me, or if you have to go back and read the whole story again just to understand what you just read lmfao. Also sorry about the short chapter.

I will try to update as much and as fast as I can, but I can't promise you a set time and date like bi-weekly or weekly like I wish I could.

Wow that was lengthy, and kind of me rambling sorry.

ALSO THANK YOU SOSOSOSO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT ON THIS STORY AND FOR ALMOST 1K VOTES HOLY SHTI <3333 LOVE U GUYS SO MUCH.

-Archie xx