Chapter Six

The ride back to school was quiet, well as quiet as it could be with helicopter blades making noise. It was mainly quiet because in the van Mom told us the only person who didn't get caught by a tail was Kat. Like seriously, the girl who plans on sitting behind a desk or being in a lab for the rest of her life made it without a tail. How does that happen? When the helicopter landed, everyone started to run out and inside the mansion.

"Okay girls, go straight to bed. We'll talk about tonight tomorrow in class. Peters I said go straight to bed not straight to the kitchen!" Mom looked over her shoulder at Jo who was trying to sneak into the kitchen. Jo mumbled something about her having eyes in the back of her head only for my mom to pretend to kick her when she walked past. I started going up the stairs with Lexi and Kat before Mom told me to stay behind and to follow her. I told Lexi and Kat that I'll see them in our room as I followed Mom to the Hall of History.

"Just to let you know, I'm speaking to you as a teacher not a mom when I say if that was a real op you could have killed Lexi. And Kat. You could have killed everyone."

"I know..." I looked down at the ground as the two of us walked outside Grandma's office.

"No, you don't know. But that's why you're here. You're here to learn so when it comes time and it's a real op you don't kill everyone on your team." She took a deep breath as she hopped onto the window seat outside Grandma's office. "Now the mother in me wants to go sneak you out into town using one of the passageways and go get you ice cream and tell you a story of how I did the same thing when I was your age." My head shot up and I looked at her as if she was joking. She smiled and slid open a book case.

"Wait you're serious? Cause I would love that." I smiled and followed her down the dark passageway to the outside. We walked out of the mansion grounds and towards Roseville. I smelt the carnival before I could see it. We walked past the carnival though and towards the Addams Family Pharmacy. Mom held open the door for me and I walked in with her following.

"I'll be with you in just a minute." Said, I'm guess, the newest Addam who took over the pharmacy. Mom sat down on a barstool and waited patiently as if she had snuck out of school and done this before. I sat next to her just as someone with black hair walk out from who knows where and over to us. His hair was fading to grey, it was obvious. "What can I get for you girls?" He asked.

"Two ice creams please. Both chocolate." Mom said. The guy nodded and started scooping out the ice cream into little paper bowls.

"So what are you doing back in Roseville, Cam?" The guy asked. As he handed me my ice cream then went to scoop her's.

"Oh I'm teaching now over at Gallagher. Decided to sneak out with Z here to get ice cream and just enjoy a night out." Mom said. The guy nodded and handed her the ice cream. I looked at the two as if I was missing something. Then Mom's words from her first day in class came rushing back.

Notice things.

"How much do I owe you?" Mom asked. Pharmacy guy waved off the question.

"On me. You know? Enjoy the carnival." Pharmacy guy walked away to go organize the shelves as Mom got up and left without another word. As I followed her out she then quickly turned back inside just long enough to say something.

"Thanks Josh. See you around." Mom yelled then walked away before he could answer.

"Okay forget the story of what you did when you were my age, who was that?" I asked.

"Oh sweetie, I would tell you but you're not a high enough clearance level to know the whole story." Mom said patting my back.

"Then tell me how you know him."

"He's an old friend." Mom said then sighed. "And dang did age catch up with him."

"Who's an old friend?" Dad asked next to me.

"Wow Dad. No hi? No how's school so far? No sorry we didn't tell you your mom was going to be your teacher? You know one day I'm going to graduate and leave you and you're going to miss spending time with me." I said. Dad looked at Mom as if I've been this was since the first day and Mom just laughed.

"We were over the the pharmacy and Josh gave us ice cream so she was wondering who he was." Mom explained to Dad who nodded. "Oh! You would not believe what happened during their op!"

"What happened?" Dad asked as Mom threw away her now empty ice cream cup. She then laced her arm threw his.

"So it was the same as when we had to do it, right? Z and Lexi were amazing at spotting their tails who were older then them. Then came the metro. Did the exact same thing Bex and I did. Split up and agreed to meet back at the ruby slippers. Z took the elevator and Lexi did who knows what." Mom started to explain. Half way threw she started to laugh. "And then after Z and her tail got off the elevator and started walking to the meeting place, Z kept saying how she would scream and tell the cop how he was trying to rape her. It was truly the best."

"What happened when she figured out he's a Blackthorne boy?" Dad asked stealing my ice cream and starting to eat it.

"Well first he called her Gallagher Girl, ya know? Then she called him Blackthorne Boy. It was truly adorable. God, I wish you could have seen it, Zach. It was like watching us meet." Mom rested her head on Dad's shoulder. I rolled my eyes at the way Mom was acting when I noticed a boy leaning on a park bench in the center by the dunk tank staring at me. Normally I'm one for disappearing in the shadows and blending in like a chameleon. I guess that's why I had a feeling I was in the spotlight and wherever I went, I would still be in the spotlight. I just wouldn't be able to blend in or find the shadows if he was staring at me.

"Hey Z, want some extra practice before we head back?" Mom asked standing beside me and looking where I was looking.

"Yeah, sure." I turned and looked at her and noticed Dad has disappeared.

"That guy who's staring at you? Get his name and number." Mom seemed to have some sort of plan going on in that genius mind of hers but I couldn't figure it out.

"Only for practice right?" I asked. "No alternative motive?" Mom nodded.

"Just practice." And with that I started walking towards the boy staring at me from the park bench by the dunk tank.