Chapter 20: Vets are Expensive

I had called the vet and set up an appointment for Ozzie. I planned it so it was both at the busiest time available and as close to the first day of finals that I could. They only had limited staff so no matter how many appointments and customers came in, they had nobody more to call in. I had heard others complain about it before. So that meant at one of their most flooded times, I could more easily slip past staff. And the less time there was between the theft and my plan coming to fruition, the less likely it would get caught up to me. I had been to the office only a couple of times in the last few years, but if nothing had changed...they still had no security cams in the building.

"So what can we do for you today?" The nurse had taken me back into a room but was yet to leave me unattended as she gave Ozzie a once over and checked his vitals.

"I just wanted to get him a checkup," I smiled.

"New pet?" she asked, rather bluntly as she felt his underbelly.

I nodded. Her serious demeanor was only making me more nervous. Just fucking leave for a minute...

"Well Dr. Carrington sees all new patients for a more detailed evaluation, but your pup seems to be in good health," the woman offered a grin, but it still showed that she had her mind on other things. No doubt the waiting room full of people I had left behind. "The doctor will be in shortly," her voice was flat again as she left.

Finally, I muttered under my breath. I took no time in stepping towards the cabinets that I had spotted behind her when she first brought me into the room. I didn't expect any drugs to be there, but I rummaged through them and the drawers anyway. I was right. There was nothing really other than syringes, thermometer batteries, and gauze... I'd have to get into the back room where they kept the stay-over pets. It was the only place besides the vet's personal office that the tranquilizers could be. Poking my head outside of the small room I was in, I could see the waiting area crammed with other pet owners. At the other end of the hall where these visit rooms were, there was a closed. It had been open when we walked back and I had seen more cabinets and several kennels in it.

"Buurk!" the tiny dog behind me barked. He was still tied by his leash to the restraint pole on the exam table.

Should I take him with me? At first, I thought not, that he'd just slow me down, but then... I realized he'd make the perfect excuse if someone asked what I was doing. I'd just say I let him off his leash and he got away from me. So I went back inside, quickly grabbing him before looking down the hallway once more. I saw that the vet was at the end, going over some papers with the nurse that I had been talking too.

Suddenly, they turned and begun walking toward me. I quickly retreated my head. I don't think I've ever been so nervous in my life. Even with the assault on Phil...at least that was in private. I was in the open here... Basically... The couple reached the outside of my door and I began to put on my face when they passed it. I let out an audible sigh and did my best to catch my breath before returning to the door. I was afraid the two had gone into the backroom, but then I barely caught a glimpse of them heading into another exam room when I put my head back out. And the nurse had closed the door tight behind them. Perfect.

I eased myself out of the exam room, hoping Ozzie wouldn't start barking. Not that it was too quiet in the building as it was. I found my way to the back room rapidly. Inside, several dogs were barking. Some started growling at me and a few cats were glaring. I ignored them as I turned my attention to the cabinets on the other side. I had looked up the name of the medications I would be looking for when I was back at home so as to not be completely dumb about what I needed to do this job.

"Oh," I whispered. That was easy. Ketamine was one of the first bottles my eyes glanced over...and there were several.

"Whatya doin'?" a voice sounded right over my shoulder.

"Ah!" I jumped, almost crashing into the cabinet.

Standing there was a kid not much older than me, but much taller and very thin. His clothes were overly baggy and he slouched with hands hanging on the sides of his scrub pants. He looked like he'd been sleeping. His eyes were red and glossy. "I, um..." I glanced nervously from him to the cabinet and down to Ozzie. "Ozzie- he..."

"Horse tranquilizer," he said, grabbing two of the bottles from the shelf and eyeing them. "That's some heavy duty stuff right there, let me tell you."

"Um..yeah, I..." what the fuck? He wasn't sleepy... I think he was high...or drunk...

The boy chuckled, offering the bottles to me, "Hey, I'm not here to judge. But yah know...I'm a little down on my feet right now..."

I reached out to take the bottles, shoving them into my pocket quickly while retrieving my wallet at the same time. I pulled out my last two twenties and handed them to him. He rubbed his nose, sniffing, and then took the cash.

"Now," he said, crumpling the bills up in his hand before reaching the same arm around me and gesturing me back out of the room. "The bathroom is, uh, that way, miss."

I smiled as I began to leave back for the hall, "Oh, of course."

I glanced back to see him close the cabinet door back and stuff the bills into his pants though it didn't look like they had pockets..  Couldn't decide if that was gross or not. I also wondered if I had over-paid or under-paid for the tranquilizers. Oh well. The important thing was was that I had them now. Back In the hallway, I heard the door the doctor had disappeared behind click open just as I passed it, causing me to hurry back to the examination station Ozzie and I had been left in.

"Well, who do we have here?"

I spun around from setting the dog on the table at the voice. The doctor stood in the door frame with a friendly smile much unlike that his nurse had had. Damn. I barely had made it into the room! He's been on my heels. Food thing I stepped up. Huh. Another lucky turn of events. Smooth, Frankie, smooth. Now if the next step would do so well... The final step...

AUTHOR'S NOTE:: Chapter originally written 11/2/2015
Chapter rewritten 11/4/2017

AUTHOR'S NOTE:: Chapter originally written 11/2/2015Chapter rewritten 11/4/2017