Chapter 6: Us or Them

The man before me lifted himself from against the frame and crossed his arms to match mine in a blatant mock. He stood like that for a moment, waiting, I guess, for me to react, but I didn't. When time passed and I hadn't, he clicked his blades open into the air at his side. He said nothing; only smiled with that evil arrogance that I had quickly grown fond of. I wasn't in the mood to wait around for too long so instead of trying keeping my stance, I broke the tension and spoke.

"What did you mean by helping each other," I breathed.

His lips fell out of the grin and curled. Letting his arms down, he reached his gloved hand back up to his chin and scratched it with a single blade. I took only a second to look around the room without really turning my head at all, but it was enough for him to sneak up next to me. Although we weren't touching, I could feel his warmth...the proximity was more than I could take.

My insides clenching, I stepped backward, tripping over and onto the bed that was suddenly close behind me as if the room had shifted. Just as my body fell upon the mattress, Freddy bounded through the air and landed atop me He pinned me down, his hands on my wrists and knees pressing harshly into my thighs. I gasped and my breathing became uneasy...

"I've never had that happen before," he growled with barred teeth that looked ready to tear into my flesh. "Not even when I was alive. This kind of reaction is...new."

"Wh-what reaction?" I stammered.

Instantly, his gloved hand let go of me, but something still restrained that wrist. The claw instead was upon my stomach then. Its knives curled, scratching softly around my belly button before trailing down and stopping to rest on my crotch. I was still clothed, but the touch was enticing. He then pressed his blades firmly against me and even through my skirt, I could feel their sharpness. He kept his gaze on my face the entire time, taking in every nuance...each flutter of my eyes, the small vibrations and twitches I made. It was hard to focus on anything other than his touch, but I managed to look back into his blue eyes.

I did my best not to react. It was impossible. Even so, I returned the glare, trying to decipher his intentions. No luck. I could have spoken to push events along... However, before I could, he snarled and disappeared.

I shot up, no longer restrained. Eager not to lose contact with, I hopped from the bed, my eyes darting around the room. When I didn't see him in the, I skipped toward the door. Looking from side to side, I saw the way was clear. Slowly I stepped over the threshold and stared down one side of what had suddenly turned into never-ending hallway... I turned around. Yup, endless that way too. I sighed, trying to figure which way I should go. With the next look back, though, I did not see the same corridor.

My vision became covered with the knives from Freddy's glove. I screamed and the next thing I knew, I was on the floor, my face hurting...burning and wet. I sat up, taking notice that the man was was still standing beside me, displaying his weapon which was dripping crimson.

My own hands found my face and I found myself feeling another gash. A singular one this time and on my cheek. I didn't have to look at my fingers to know that they were now red...I could feel it. I wiped them on my shirt, the black material hid any trace of the color. When I put my attention back on Freddy, he seemed perplexed. I just sat there dumbly until I heard his voice again.

"I recognize that look," he mused, a clawed finger pointing at me.

My brow furrowed in confusion. Did he really understand what I was feeling? I slowly pushed myself up from the floor, keeping him in my sights for fear he'd vanish again. Thankfully, when I made to my feet, he was still there. Thankfully, this wasn't the case. As soon as I was steady, he took steps forward, a wry smile taking over his face.

"You enjoy it, don't ya, little girl?" he chuckled.

"I-" I hesitated. My mind told me what was expected of me...but I couldn't be bothered with that. This was a dream anyway...nobody would know... I could be honest here. "Yes..." I subconsciously started scratching at the top of my thigh through my skirt.

The man's smile grew as he closed in the final bit of space between us. He grabbed my skirt and yanked it up, exposing my panties...and the scars on my thigh where I often cut. "I taught myself to enjoy pain when I was young, but I started killing even younger." He paused both in motion and in speech and it felt as if he were waiting on a reaction from me, but I found his lift on my dress extremely distracting...

"I've never killed anything," I said shyly, my eyes barely staying on him and not my bare legs. "I don't even like eating meat. I don't really want to hurt anyone."

Freddy yanked my skirt harder, almost causing me to fall. His form disappearing again, but immediately reappearing at my side and catching me from losing my balance with one arm wrapping around my shoulder,

"Oh, but that doesn't mean a thing," he laughed and made a gesture between the two of us with his clawed hand, "People like you and me...we'll try and try to fit into society, but in the end," he spun us around to face the other way, "it's not enough. Either they die, or we do. It's as simple as that. There's no morals, no immorality. It's just live or die."

He then removed his glance from me and lifted his claw to point down the hall except it was no longer a hall, it was the local cemetery. I had only been to it once, but I recognized it by the setup. It was a large opening with a perimeter completely encased with trees. Freddy retrieved his arm and began walking down a row of graves in front of us.

I began looking and what I saw...wasn't shocking. Every stone was marked with the name of someone I knew whether family or friend, or what have you. As I looked at each name, a memory I had of each flawed in my vision, reminding me of what they had been before they reached their end.

After traveling a few rows like this, Freddy stopped and turned back to me, "What do you feel?"

"Relief," I answered without a thought, my eyes still gazing across the sea of stones.

Then I thought about my answer. My mother was the one who was crushing me...most of these people... They were all kind. A lot of good people, but... What if they, too, found out who I was... And they hated me. Wanted to change me too. Forced me to be the same as them...

Freddy's chuckle took me from my thoughts and my focus was on him again. "You see?" he said, "You aren't the problem. They are."

"FRANCINE!!!"

AUTHOR'S NOTE:: Chapter originally written 10/21/2015
Chapter rewritten 10/28/2017

AUTHOR'S NOTE:: Chapter originally written 10/21/2015Chapter rewritten 10/28/2017