CHAPTER NINE (unedited)

EVERETT

Like a stalker, I googled her until I found her. What was wrong with me?

As I sat at the bar waiting on my Ramos Gin Fizz, I rubbed my hands over my face in frustration as I stared at her. It made no sense. I was beyond annoyed.

Where did I know her from?

"I'll have what he's having," Mikhail said to the bartender as he took a seat next to me.

I quickly hid my phone to avoid a conversation I'd rather not have.

I took a long swig of my drink before asking, "How'd you find me?" 

"You know me," he gloated. "I've got eyes everywhere."

Shaking my head, I couldn't help but nod in agreement. We both knew he had a slew of informants at his dispense. 

"Here you go, Detective," said the bartender as he quickly handed him his drink and rushed off to his next customer.

"How's the case coming along?" I tried to act unconcerned, but I was certain I failed miserably.

He looked at me for a moment obviously debating whether or not he should go there.

"We're no closer than we were on yesterday," he sighed. "The streets are quiet, man. Even though they know I got them...they're still scared.

My thoughts went back to Primrose. I knew what was coming next because Mikhail was one hell of a detective.

"Which is why I need to interview that girl from the scene. You know... the one you were staring at on your phone before I walked in."

I should have known... He was the last person I wanted to catch me slipping. Well, other than my dad.  

Even though I objected to him questioning her so soon, it wasn't my place to tell him to back off. 

"Well... Is she good to go?"

Surprised he asked instead of demanding that he question her asap, I almost choked on the last drop of my drink. 

"She's not my patient," I replied with a smirk. 

Enjoying a small buzz, I checked my watch and it was 11:11 AM. Time had gone by so fast. I pulled out enough cash to cover both of our drinks along with a nice tip.

"If not YOUR patient, then who is she?" 

Without hesitation, I arrogantly replied, "No one," and left my good friend at the bar. So I thought...

"Wait up, doc," he said as he hurried to catch up with me. "What's got you all worked up?"

I was definitely not in the mood.

"Look, I'm just tired. I had a long night." I tried to explain without sounding too defensive. Mikhael was my friend and I knew he had my best interest at heart. Besides my dad, he was the only one that knew what really happened to my mom. 

He looked at me unsuccessfully trying to read my mind. As he let out a deep sigh, I kind of felt bad because I knew it frustrated him. But how could I explain something to him that I was still confused about.

Reluctantly, he let it go.

"Alright. I give up. When you're ready to talk, I'm here." 

After a man-hug, I forced myself to hide my internal war from him before heading home. I didn't want him to worry. 

Not making it half a mile down the road, my gas light decided to make an inconvenient appearance. So, I quickly made my way back to the crime scene only to find the last person I needed to see at the moment. Primrose...