•>Soulmates<•

Hey guys! I'm sorry for not updating often, but I don't have a steady source of wifi. This one shot is based off of a short story I'm writing, so I hope you like it. Later.
______________________________________________

It was autumn. Wet leaves stuck to every surface, painting the city with subdued oranges and reds. Though the rain had ceased to a mere haze, women still clung to thier umbrellas as they walked against the wind, and boys rolled up the cuffs of their jeans so that they wouldn't drag them through puddles of rainwater. The clouds were so thick overhead that one couldn't tell if it was five o'clock in the afternoon or five o'clock in the morning.

You knew though, when you checked your clock that the time was near. It'd have to wait though. The autumn's bite was turning the edges of your cheeks red as you sifted through the papers located in your messenger bag. Each covered in a plastic protector, sealed at the edges which kept your papers in perfect conditions on days like these.

Grabbing a piece of charcoal, you secured the piece of sketch paper onto your notebook. Your fingertips were red and raw from the countless hours spent sitting and grazing over the same papers, but you didn't mind. It took your mind off of today's big event, which you wanted to skip altogether. You couldn't, though. Your clock had led you here.

You would like to have thought that this day could have been avoided. That the people in the park would've somehow help you get out of this situation, but such attempts were hopeless. They loved to see moments like these.

Your hands flew across the page as you made marks with your worn out piece of charcoal. Music blasted from your earbuds, audible to those around you. The scarf wrapped around your wrist kept you distracted, though. You couldn't help but resent it, or rather resent what was under it.

See, in this world, your soulmate was chosen for you when you were born. It was soon after they determined who your soulmate was that they implanted a slender clock into your wrist. This small device counted down the days until you met your soulmate. Pretty cool, huh?

Well, you didn't think so. You always kept your clock covered, for you hated what it stood for. You wanted the moment to be just right, not be forced or already planned out because a sequence of numbers told you when you were destined to meet your soulmate.

Even so, the scarf around your wrist stopped the nerves and the charcoal in your hands kept you distracted. You didn't know what you were drawing, but you knew it was better than what was about to take place.

Pausing your sharp hand movements, your eyes were drawn to a boy in a pristine white shirt, dark wash jeans, and a black-and-white flannel carefully unwrapping a black scarf from around his wrist. He had his eyes closed, and appeared to be holding his breath.

Suddenly, he opened his eyes, but before he looked at his wrist, he glanced upwards. You felt the thump of your heart stopping as your eyes met sharp, steel blue ones.

The boy in white rolled his eyes at you and began to jog in your direction, his face void of any emotion. You weren't ready. You stumbled from your place on the old, crooked, wooden bench, snatched up your messenger bag, and took off. A confused look crossed the boy's face as he sped up behind you.

"Hey!"

You didn't dare to look back at the boy who just shouted at you. Hurrying away from him, you stepped off of the curb and made your way across the road. A loud honk made you snap your head around to see a large truck barreling towards you at full speed. You stood frozen, shaking with eyes wide. A hand grabbed your body, and yanked you back, cluching your waist.

"Tch, you stupid brat. What were you thinking?" A smooth, deep voice spat at you.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Thanks for asking," You spat back at him, shaking the boy's hands from around you, and brushing off the imaginary dirt from your pants. "It's okay, I almost get hit by a truck everyday, no big deal."

The boy stared daggers into the side of your skull. "Is that anyway to talk to the person who just saved your life? Talk about ungrateful."

A snort escaped. "It is if their being an ass about it."

The boy rolled his eyes at you." Tch. What's your name, brat?"

"Why should I tell you? You haven't even told me your name."

Instead of making a snarky comment back, the boy shifted his gaze to the scarf wrapped around your wrist. "Can I see your clock?"

"What? Why?"

An exasperated sigh slipped between his lips. "Just let me see it."

"How about no?" You scoffed at the un-named boy in front of you. "I don't even know you."

"Tch. The name's Levi."

You glanced at him from the corner of your eye. "(Y/n)."

"Was that so hard?"

"Shut up."

A loud beeping interrupted the small conversation you were having with the boy named Levi. You both glanced down at the thin pieces of fabric covering both of your wrists.

You cast your eyes toward Levi, only to find that he was already staring at you.

You shook your head harshly, over and over again. "No, no, no. There is absolutely no way that someone like you is my soulmate. No way."

"Tch, not like you're the perfect person either. Just take off your scarf. That's the only way we can be sure."

You scoffed at his suggestion. Who was this guy to try to tell you what to do? Nonetheless, he had a point. The only way to find out if he was your soulmate would be to take the scarf off of your wrist.

With a sigh escaping your lips, you pulled at the knot that kept your scarf tight around your wrist. It unfolded effortlessly, gracefully slipping from your arm.

Both pairs of eyes darted to the pair of numbers that blinked back at you.

"14:38," You spoke breathlessly, hoping that his numbers wouldn't read the same. "Alright, your turn."

"Tch." He pulled scarf down his arm, uncovering the clock embedded in his wrist. "No fucking way."

"What's it saying?" You asked him, exasperation evident in your voice.

His cold gaze switched from the small clock to your form and back as he ran his fingers through his ebony locks. "...14:38"

"Shit."