I Can't Sleep...

You tried so hard to sleep, but all you could do was think about the expedition you took part in earlier that day. Almost everyone you cared about was slaughtered by the Titans, and you didn't know how to handle it, or how much longer you could handle it for that matter.

You reached out for your journal on your side table, opening it and looking for a pen, the need to write down your thoughts and feelings eating away at you.

You started by writing down all the names of your fallen comrades. Tom, Blake, Melissa, and worse of all Nathan. Nathan was your best friend.

You both grew up as next door neighbors in Trost before the fall of Wall Maria, and he always knew how to cheer you up with little inside jokes, secrets, and teasing. You both knew everything about each other from crushes to your worst fears.

You wrote a letter to each one of your fallen comrades telling them how much you'll miss them and that you will do everything in your power to avenge them, but you just couldn't write one for Nahtan.

You sigh, placing your journal back in its original spot on your nightstand.

It hadn't been long, but your eyes started to sting. You grip on tight to your pillow, and bite you lip.

Refusing to let the tears slip from your (e/c) eyes, you rose up out of your bunk, and headed towards the mess hall in search of something to put you to sleep.

The mess hall was empty when you entered, so you went in the kitchen. You searched each and every cabinet until you found what you were looking for. Chamomile tea, milk, and honey; the perfect elixir to put you to sleep.

You grabbed a random tea kettle, and filled it three quarters of the way up with water, and placed it over the small fire used to heat the food.

Leaning against the counter, you drifted off into thought about what it would be like right now if you hadn't lost your friends today.

You had gotten so caught up in your thoughts that you hadn't realized that the water was already done, and that someone else had entered the kitchen, removing the kettle from its place above the blazing fire.

A sudden flick to the forehead brought you out of your thoughts. "Tch. You should pay more attention when you're doing something that involves fire, idiot."

Your eyes widened, and you gave one of the sloppiest salutes of your life. "Captain! Sorry, it's just that I got so caught up in my thoughts that I forgot about it, sir."

Levi rolled his eyes. "At ease, cadet. What are you doing awake at this time of night?"

"I couldn't sleep, so I thought that something warm to drink would help me go to sleep better."

"What type of tea are you making?" He asked, examining your tired state. Your eyes were red and puffy, and you slouched more than usual. The bags under you eyes made it look like you hadn't slept for months even though it had only been a few hours.

Your eyes glowed with fondness as you spoke this time. "Oh, it's chamomile tea with milk and honey. My mom made it for me and Nathan whenever he slept over and we stayed up so late we couldn't fall asleep."

Levi tilted his head in interest. "I'd like to try this tea, but Nathan?"

That light in your eyes dimmed dramatically as you spoke your next words. "Nathan was my best friend. He died in today's expedition."

That stinging in your eyes returned before Levi could respond. Tears streamed freely down your face, and hair fell in your eyes, obstructing them from view.

Your nose grew red, and your shoulders began to shake as you tried to contain the sobs that threatened to spill from your mouth. As hard as you tried to stop them, you couldnt, and before long, you were crying for Nathan, calling out as if he would appear from your saddened cry.

You grabbed onto Levi's pristine white shirt, crinkling the fabric. Your arms wrapped around his neck as you bawled your eyes out on your superior's shoulder, but you didn't care.

Levi stood there as stiff as a cutting board before he realized that you needed someone to hold onto. So, he wrapped his arms around your waist, rubbing small circles on your back in an attempt to calm you down.

He rocked your bodies back and forth, humming 'Reluctant Heroes' in your ear. Slowly but surely, you calmed down, but you relaxed a little bit too much because when Levi turned his head to get a good look at you he was greeted by your sleeping face.

"Tch. Brat."

Levi sighed, and hoisted you up into his arms bridal style and began to carry you to your room.

He placed you down as gently as he could, and turned around, about to head out the door, but before he could, your hand shot out and grabbed onto his wrist, preventing him from going anywhere.

"Corporal... could you maybe, umm, stay with me, please?" You drowsily whispered to him.

Levi stared at you for a couple of seconds before replying with, "Scoot over."

You shifted your body to one side of the bed, allowing your Corporal to get in next to you after he slipped his shoes off.

"Thanks Corporal." You whispered as your eyes began to close.

"Levi."

Your eyes reopened as you stared into the eyes of the one that laid next to you. A shocked look was plastered on your face where a tired one just sat as you tried to process his words.

"What?"

His arm reached out, and grabbed you by your waist, pulling you close to him, causing a blush to taint your cheeks. "Only certain people are allowed to call me by my first name. You're one of those people."

"Why me?" You inquired, confused on why you would be allowed to use his name. It wasn't like you didn't want to use his first name , you just wondered he picked you.

Once again he flicked your forehead. "Tch. Are you that dense? I wouldn't do this for just anyone."

You were still confused. "So that means...?"

Levi sighed, and rolled his eyes. "I like you, idiot."

You were speechless, tired, excited, and surprised. Your long time crush actually liked you back. Eyes wide, you replied,"I- I like you, too, Levi."

"I know."

You flinched, and would've moved away from Levi if it wasn't for his hands around your waist. "Eh?!?! How'd you know?!"

"That's a story for in the morning. For now, you need to get some sleep, there's training in the morning."

Your surprised look melted away. You laid back down next to Levi, but it seemed as if he had other plans because he pulled you even closer, and rested your head on his chest.

Neither of you said anything after that. You both just basked in the quiet, serene atmosphere of your room, enjoying each others presence.

You drifted off to sleep, your mind closing itself off from the world as your body relaxed. Your breathing slowed as you listened to Levi's heartbeat, it coaxing you to fall deeper into sleep.

You could've sworn you heard Levi speak, but you were too far gone to care.

"I love you, (y/n), and I'll never leave you. Don't you forget it either. You might be a brat, but you're my brat."

Looks like you got a good night's sleep after all.