~25~

We were discharged the next morning, Johnny was transported to a correctional facility and Jonathan and I were able to go home the next day. It was a difficult day, I was losing Johnny, Jonathan was losing his father, and the ride back to the house was painful. Darry came to get us from the hospital with Soda, while Pony stayed home with Rocco.

"Of course the road had to be bumpy," I said, keeping Jonathan's car seat steady, as Darry drove. Soda sat in the back of the truck, wanting to give us enough room in the front seat and make sure my wheelchair didn't hop out of the truck bed.

"We're almost there, sis," Darry reassured. "Shante and Nicole are waiting at the house."

"That's good, we weren't able to catch up a lot since they had work this morning," I said. Once we pulled in front of our house, I could see the girls and Pony waiting out on the porch with Two-Bit and Steve. So many familiar faces, it made me happy. It had only been a week, but I felt like it was the first time I had seen their faces in years. Darry turned off the truck and climbed out, carefully taking out Jonathan's car seat when he was outside of the truck. Soda helped me out of the truck and into my wheelchair, before wheeling it up to the porch. They were sweet enough to make a ramp for me on the porch steps, so I could come outside when I needed to.

"Welcome home," Shante greeted. "How are you feeling?"

"I've had better days, but I'm still alive, so I thank God," I said, hugging her and Nicole. "How are you both?"

"We're doin' good," Shante said.

"We were worried about you," Nicole said. "Pony told us you had the baby in that church."

"Yeah," I said. "It was hard, but we made it through. Doctor says that he's healthy."

"Where is my little nephew anyway?" Shante asked, looking around.

"Got him right here. Let's get inside," Darry said. We all made our way inside, Shante helping Soda get me up the ramp and in the house. It was a bit more chilly out in the morning, Autumn was truly here. Soda wheeled me inside and helped me onto the couch, Darry setting Jonathan's car seat on the table, so Shante and Nicole could get a good look at him.

"Look at that little face," Shante said, looking down at her nephew as he slept. "Looks just like Johnny."

"That's definitely Shawna's nose," Nicole said. Two-Bit peeked over the two to look down at the baby.

"Yup, that's a Curtis nose," Two-Bit agreed.

"Everyone says that, I don't really see it yet," I said.

"He's beautiful, Shawna. You did a real good job," Shante said.

"Thank you," I said. "You're welcome to hold him if you want. Just gotta make sure your hands are clean. Little guy's immune system is still in training." Shante and Nicole headed off to go wash their hands, wanting to hold Jonathan.

"You need anythin', sis? Did ya eat yet?" Soda asked.

"I'm alright. Some water would be nice though," I said, trying not to move my body so much, as I sat on the couch. Rocco came out of the bedroom, yawning as he had just woken up, and walked over to me, taking a seat on the floor beside me. "Hey." I pet his head a little and looked over at Jonathan, who was kind of twitching in his sleep. Shante walked over to the car seat and carefully took Jonathan out, holding him, making sure to be careful with his head.

"Oh, you're so tiny," Shante said, cradling him, as she sat down on the couch beside me.

"6 lbs 4 oz. the nurse said," I said, thanking Soda for the cup of water he got me.