~12~

A few weeks had passed, and I was beginning to show a bit, not too much, but if you stared at me long enough you could notice it. I was in the last week of the first trimester, at least that's what Elizabeth told me. Justin had been sending more and more letters, I was starting to get them at work now, and they were getting more and more violent. I just kept hiding them and trying to ignore them because I had bigger things to focus on.

“You'll be turning 15 soon, sis,” Soda said. “Any idea on what you want?”

“My birthday's not for another two months, Soda,” I said, looking up from the book I was reading, trying to enjoy my day off.

“Still, it's not too early to think now,” Soda said.

“I guess you're not wrong,” I said, setting my book down.

“And it can't be stuff for the baby. Think about what you want,” Soda said.

“You're not making this easy, are you?” I asked, looking up at my brother.

“Nope,” Soda said, chuckling a little.

“Okay, I've been wanting a new hair accessory. I left my other ones in Louisiana,” I said. “The only one I have now other than the one for work is the one Mom and Dad got me for Christmas that one year.”

“So like hair bows, headbands, clips?” Soda asked.

“Yeah, I'm happy with anything. You know I'm not picky,” I said, picking my book back up.

“Okay, where's Johnny?” Soda asked.

“Dallas came to get him this morning to do a job,” I said. “He should be back before dinner. That is, if Dallas doesn't do anything stupid.”

“Oh, okay. Do you have any plans for today?” Soda asked.

“Not really, I was just going to read for a little bit and wait until Johnny got back,” I said. “Why?”

“How about we hang out today?” Soda suggested, “We haven't been able to actually spend some real time together since you got back.”

“Yeah, okay. What should we do?” I asked.

“We could go into town and just look around. Maybe you'll find something you really want for your birthday,” Soda said.

“You're really determined to get me something,” I said, chuckling a little.

“Well yeah, you're my kid sister, I want to get you something nice,” Soda said.

“Alright, alright,” I said, bookmarking my book, before getting up from the table. “Let me go change my clothes, and we can go.”

“Okay,” Soda said. I walked into the bedroom with my book, setting it down on the bed, before I closed the door and changed my clothes. I put on a pair of jeans and one of my bigger shirts. It wasn't too big on me, but it was enough for me to conceal my baby bump. I knew many people wouldn't notice it, but you never know who would be watching. I just didn't want Justin to find out and start threatening Johnny or hurt my baby. I brushed my hair and pulled it back into a ponytail, as I left the room. I picked up my sneakers that I left by the front door, and put them on.

“Ready to go?” Soda asked.

“Yeah, let's go,” I said, heading outside, Soda following me behind. We headed off the porch and down the path, past the fence.

“So, how's work been?” Soda asked, walking beside me.

“It's been good, I'm making pretty good tips, no one has been giving me too much trouble. I did have a guy who came in and complained about something he ordered but didn't like,” I said.