~2~

I washed my hands in the kitchen and made my way to the table to join everyone else.

“So where were you all this time, sis?” Soda asked, sitting down at the table.

“Here and there, depending on where the drivers I hitched a ride with went. Eventually, I stayed with some folks down in Louisiana.” I said, making my plate.

“Louisiana? What's that like?” Johnny asked me softly.

“Hot and humid, but the people there are very friendly, and the food, it was great, but it just wasn't like home,” I said.

“Why didn't ya come home sooner, sis?” Soda asked me.

“I didn't know if I was ready to come back yet.” I said sadly. “I just needed time.”

“We understand, Shawna. We're just glad that you're back, and you're okay,” Darry said.

“Ah, don't get sappy, you're gonna make me cry,” I said, chuckling a little, Darry chuckled as well and patted my head.

“Don't worry, I won't,” he said, before beginning to eat.

“So did you hitchhike all the way back?” Pony asked me, before eating a spoonful of vegetables.

“I actually hitched a ride with someone I was staying with. They were coming into town to visit some family and offered me a ride back,” I said, before eating my vegetables. I continued eating, while answering questions, and getting to know the gang more, “So you two have been friends for years, and I'm just now meeting you?” I asked Steve.

“Yeah I guess so. Soda and Pony have mentioned you occasionally, but I thought you were just an old neighbor,” Steve said.

“Not to mention you still had clothes here,” Soda said.

“Which we thought were Sandy's,” Two-Bit said.

“Makes sense,” I said, eating my chicken. “You didn't let her wear my clothes, did you?”

“No, of course not,” Soda said. “I'm not heartless. I knew you'd come back to use them eventually.”

“Good because I don't want to have to burn them,” I said. I never liked Sandy, she acted like a soc, though she was lower-middle class, she just acted really snobby. I could tell she never liked me either, acting super sweet when Soda or the boys were around and being malicious whenever they were out of an earshot. I continued to eat, before noticing Soda staring at me, most likely from what I said. “What? You know, I hate it when people wear my clothes. It makes me feel gross.”

“Right, you were always like that,” Soda said, before going back to eating his food, leaving the table silent.

“Anyway…where will I be sleeping tonight? I don't mind taking the couch for now,” I said.

“You think we're letting you sleep on the couch? No way,” Soda said.

“You can take Soda's old bed,” Darry said.

“Where will Soda sleep?” I asked, not wanting to take up space. What I didn't know was that since Mom and Dad had died their bedroom was left untouched, Soda and Pony shared a bed because Pony had trouble sleeping, and the couch was for guests only when they stayed the night. I sat there and listened quietly as Soda explained this to me. “So…no one has been in there?” I finally asked quietly.

“Pony occasionally goes in there to dust stuff off when he's cleaning. He just hasn't been doing it lately with him being in school,” Soda explained.

“Excuse me, I need some air,” I choked out, trying not to cry as I left the table and hurried outside. I sat out on the porch and took a few deep breaths, feeling something in the pit of my stomach. I wanted to scream, I wanted to cry, but I just couldn't, it just wasn't a good time. I began to shake and turned around, hearing footsteps, seeing Johnny stepping outside. “Hey, Johnny Cade,” I said, turning back to face forward. “Heading home?”