~13~

The day of the courthouse wedding appointment still felt like a dream. Especially, actually getting ready to go. I decided for the occasion to wear one of Mom's dresses. Just so, I had a piece of her there with us at the courthouse. I opened the door to my parents' bedroom, and after so many months of avoiding it, I stepped inside and turned on the lamp.

“You sure you're okay with this, sis?” Soda asked, stepping inside as well.

“Yeah, I'm sure. I want them to be there as well, and this would be the closest way,” I said. “I want something simple, but it has to be white.”

“Okay,” Soda said, walking over to our parents' closet, before opening it. I took some slow breaths to calm my nerves and walked over as well. We carefully looked through the closet. Pushing past sweaters and different dresses. “How about this one?” He picked up a white sundress that looked a bit boxy around the waist.

“That should work. It definitely will give me some room for the baby,” I said. He handed me the dress and stepped out of the room to give me some privacy to change. I changed into it and adjusted the waist a little to feel comfortable around my baby bump. I opened the door and Soda looked at me.

“Wow, sis,” Soda said quietly.

“How does it look?” I asked.

“It looks great,” Soda said, adding the silver hair clip to my hair. “You look beautiful.” I smiled at him, and heard someone coming through the door.

“Hey are we ready to g- oh my, look at you, Shawna,” Darry said, standing in the doorway, looking at me.

“How does it look? Good?” I asked, sounding hopeful, wanting a second opinion. I did trust Soda's opinion, but Soda sometimes just tells me nice things, so he didn't hurt my feelings.

“You look amazing,” Darry said. “Mom and Dad would be proud of you.”

“Thank you,” I said, fixing my hair a little, so it wasn't in the way, while Soda put the chain to my wedding ring around my neck.

“Come on, let's get ya to the truck. Shante's probably already at the courthouse with Johnny by now. Hopefully, they don't think ya have cold feet,” Darry said.

“Right, let's go,” I agreed. I walked outside to the truck with my older brothers and carefully climbed into the truck, Soda making sure the dress was inside, so it wouldn't get stuck in the door. Darry climbed in the driver's seat and Soda sat down beside me, as Darry started up the truck.

“Should we have gotten you a head thing? What's it called again?” Soda asked, as Darry drove away from the house and toward the courthouse.

“A veil? No, I think the hair clip is just fine, Soda,” I said, chuckling a little. “It's a little too traditional for this kind of wedding.”

“Huh, you got a point,” Soda said, smiling at me. “Are you nervous?”

“Not as much as I expected to be,” I said. “I'm more excited than anything. I'm making a big decision in my life.”

“Yeah, ya almost don't realize how much of a big deal it is until ya actually think about it,” Soda said.

“Exactly,” I said, laughing softly.

“We're almost there. We should be a bit early,” Darry said, turning into the courthouse parking lot, where Shante was helping Johnny fix his hair in her car. Darry parked the car and Soda hopped out, before carefully helping me out of the car. Shante looked over and waved happily.

“Oh my Lord, look at you!” Shante called from the car. Johnny looked over at me and I swear, I have never seen his eyes get so wide. Just the way he stared at me, made me feel warm inside. Every time we reminisce about this moment, Johnny says that he fell in love with me all over again at that moment.