Into Darkness

Evelyn secured the outside of the shuttle before returning to check up on Switch and Ezra. Ezra was still muttering. He twitched slightly as he slept. Evelyn decided that it would be better for him to be awake. After all, if he was twitching and muttering he probably wasn't dreaming good dreams.

"Wake up, Fluffy," Evelyn said, poking Ezra. "You've got assassins to take out and an Empire to rebel against." Ezra sat up and opened his eyes.

"Wuzzgoinon?" Ezra mumbled. Evelyn smiled despite the danger they were in. She composed herself again before answering.

"We crashed on the moon's surface," she explained. "We must have gone through the surface and into one of the series of caves that are beneath the surface. You've been passed out this whole time."

"Your arm! You're hurt!" Ezra exclaimed as he finally woke up completely.

"It's fine," Evelyn protested. "I'm just going to wrap it up later when there's a spare moment. It doesn't hurt, really."

"Yeah right. It's broken. We've got to wrap it now," Ezra told her as he stood up. He grabbed a med kit from the back of the shuttle. Evelyn grumbled to herself as Ezra made her sit down and made a splint for her arm.

"This is going to hurt," Ezra warned Evelyn. "Try not to move too much."

Evelyn gritted her teeth as Ezra pushed the bone back into place and wrapped her arm. When he finished, he pulled her sleeve back down to cover the wrappings.

"There. Better, right?" Ezra asked.

"Thanks. What about you? Are you hurt?" Evelyn asked. Ezra looked down at himself.

"I don't think so. Just a little sore," he told her.

"That's good. When you weren't breathing I thought . . . I was afraid that . . ." Evelyn stopped herself. Ezra knelt down and brushed off Switch.

"You ok little buddy?" Ezra asked him. Switch nodded.

"Everything's going to be ok," Evelyn told him. "You just trust us, alright?"

"Ok," Switch said. His voice was soft. Ezra glanced at Evelyn in total surprise. She gave him a confused look.

"What?" Evelyn asked.

"How did you get him to talk?" Ezra asked.

"He's always been able to talk," Evelyn said. "Doesn't he talk to you?"

"He hasn't said a word since he came with the crew," Ezra told her. "I always assumed it was because of shock."

"He hasn't said a single word to you?" Evelyn checked. Ezra shook his head and Evelyn shrugged.

"Must be because he trusts me more than you," she said while taking Switch's hand and leading him out of the shuttle.

"No, it's definitely a girl thing," Ezra told her retreating form. "Or maybe he just likes you!"

"'A girl thing'?" Evelyn repeated, sticking her head back in the shuttle. "Just watch yourself, Fluffy. I saved your life. You owe me."

"Technically we're even," Ezra pointed out, following her out of the shuttle. "I saved your life back on Coruscant when you were stabbed by a lightsaber."

"What about when I saved you from a slow death on Mustafar?" Evelyn reminded him as she pulled out an emergency lantern."Or the time the Inquisitor tried to kill you while you were unconscious?"

"That one was your fault. You were the one who knocked me out in the first place," Ezra protested.

"But I still saved your life. That makes the score three to one, with you owing me your life," Evelyn counted.

"You're missing the assassin. And Jared. And Asajj Ventress," Ezra reminded her.

"Ventress doesn't count, but I suppose you're right about the other two. We're even . . . at least until you get yourself into another deadly situation where I have to rescue you," Evelyn teased.

"Or the other way around," Ezra added. Evelyn laughed and turned on the lantern.

"Since we can't go up, we'll have to find some other way out of this cave," she said. "Which direction should we go?"

Ezra glanced around. All he could see was impenetrable darkness. Then he heard a faint voice.

"Did you hear that?" Ezra asked.

"Hear what?" Evelyn replied. Ezra listened again.

"That! Right there! It sounded like Conner," Ezra explained. Evelyn listened.

"I can't hear anything. Then again, I'm not a Jedi. Lead the way," Evelyn said, handing Ezra the lantern. He accepted it and stepped into the darkness, in the direction the echoing voice had come from.