Duchess Evelyn

Ezra looked out the window as the shuttle landed on Mandalor's surface. He and Switch were sitting on a shuttle filled with refugees and other visitors. Mandalor's surface was barren and white for the most part. Inhabitants dwelt in large dome cities. Ezra lifted Switch up so that he could see out the window.

"Welcome to Mandalor," a voice said over the comm system as it Touched down on the landing pad. The shuttle was mostly empty before Ezra and Switch stood and left.

On the landing platform, people and workers were bustling about. A girl was standing a short distance away, escorted by two guards. She was wearing a white long sleeved dress and her curly brown hair hung a short distance below her shoulder and was done in an elegant style. Ezra led Switch up to her and her guards. She folded her arms.

"Being a Duchess can sure change a person," Ezra teased. "Where's that bounty hunter I rescued?"

"It's nice to see you too," Evelyn said with raised eyebrows. "I see you've been busy. Where's his mother?"

"She was killed the by the Empire. His father too. I brought him here with me so we could find his Aunt Mabel. I see you got our message that I was coming."

"Obviously, or else I wouldn't be here." Evelyn stepped closer and lowered her voice. "This was really dangerous, Ezra. You could be recognized."

"We'll worry about that later," Ezra said while waving a hand. "I heard about the assassination attempt."

"It was nothing," Evelyn told him. "The cook spilled some fuel in the food. The media blew it all out of proportion. Poor cook was in hysterics when security showed up."

"I should stick around anyway, just in case," Ezra said. Evelyn shrugged. "Suit yourself. Just keep in mind there's not a lot I can do for you if you get caught."

"Your the Duchess. A ruler or a whole planet! What can't you do?" Ezra asked.

"You'd be surprised. I'm only the temporary Duchess. Most of the true power resides with my aunt, at least until my birthday in two weeks. Then I will be able to hold the full power. I won't need Chancellor Anarth," Evelyn said. She and her guards led Ezra and Switch into a private shuttle. It took off and began transporting them into the city and to the palace.

The entire city was built geometrically. Everything, even the plants, were square. Switch stared out the window as Ezra and Evelyn continued to speak.

"Who's the Chancellor?" Ezra asked.

"He's supposed to advise everything I do," Evelyn explained. "He was taking care of things in my aunt's place before I arrived. If I want to do something he doesn't approve of he can veto it. Then it has to go under review by the whole council before I can do it, unless he can prove it would harm Mandalor or place myself or aunt in extreme danger. Luckily I got to you before he found out I'm having you visit. Which reminds me, you aren't Ezra Bridger while you're here. You're Ezra Cloudbreak, a court hand from Naboo. You're here to advise me about the Liberty movement."

"Why don't you just name me Fluffy Scruffypants?" Ezra asked grumpily.

"Don't tempt me," Evelyn told him. "It's for your own safety. If Anarth knew who you really were, things wouldn't end well for you."

"What if someone asks me about the liberty movement? I don't know anything about it," Ezra pointed out.

"No one will question you," Evelyn said. "Not with all of the arrests going on right now."

"Will I get arrested?" Ezra asked.

"Not as long as you do what I say. Besides, I'll be keeping you out of sight in the palace. No one has any reason to suspect a thing," Evelyn said.

"Sounds like you've got it all handled," Ezra told her.

"Being a Duchess has its perks. Among them is living in a palace."

The palace came into view up ahead. It was a tall white building with beautiful stained glass windows. Gardens lined the walkway which led to the door. Switch pointed at the palace and tugged on Ezra's sleeve. Evelyn smiled.

"The palace almost makes it worth it," Ezra said as he looked out the window. The shuttle landed and Evelyn led the way out.

"If you're impressed by the outhouse, wait until you see the actual palace," Evelyn said. Ezra blinked several times, unable to find his voice.

"Are you serious?" he finally asked. Evelyn laughed.

"No, but it was totally worth it to see your face," she told him. "Welcome to the palace."