Common Goals

As they passed through the palace doors, Ezra stared around. The walls were undecorated. Large windows let in plenty of light. A throne was at the far side of the room.

"I've had a room prepared for you," Evelyn said. "The guards can show it to you whenever you're ready."

"What, you're not coming too? I would miss your cuddly personality," Ezra complained.

"Ha ha. Very funny. I have work to do," Evelyn said dryly.

"I'm supposed to be keeping an eye on you," Ezra pointed out. "Can't I come?"

"Could you promise not to resort to 'aggressive negotiations'?" Evelyn asked.

"What?" Ezra asked.

"Long story," Evelyn sighed.

"There you are! I've been looking for you everywhere, Duchess!" a voice exclaimed. A young man had entered the room without Ezra noticing. He was mandalorian, with reddish hair and hazel eyes. He had a slim build but was slightly taller than Ezra. He was wearing a uniform and had a blaster attached to his belt.

"Who's this?" the guy asked.

"This is Ezra Cloudbreak," Evelyn introduced. "He's here helping me."

"With your aunt, or . . ?" he trailed off, looking at Ezra curiously.

"Confidential matters. Ezra, this is Jared Hue. He's my personal bodyguard," Evelyn explained.

"You shouldn't have left without telling me," Jared pointed out. "It was dangerous. You could have been killed."

"I had my guards," Evelyn said. "There's no danger on Mandalor."

"I should check him over real quick before he's allowed to just wander around," Jared said.

"I trust him. That should be enough for you," Evelyn told him. Switch began tugging on Evelyn's sleeve. Jared tensed as she bent down and picked Switch up. Ezra saw his hand twitch over his blaster. Evelyn saw it as well.

"Are you going to shoot a three year old?" Evelyn asked coldly. "Maybe you're taking your job a little too seriously."

Jared looked ashamed for a few moments before turning defensive.

"He could just be a midget or a dwarf assassin or some other fiendish creature. He could be a shapeshifter, which we usually test for," Jared pointed out.

"Or he could be a cute three year old who wanted to be picked up," Evelyn replied.

"Someone out there wants you dead. And I won't rest until they're behind bars," Jared declared.

"That's what I've been saying," Ezra told Evelyn.

"Then we agree on something," Jared said.

"Great," Evelyn said. "You two go bond. I'm going to go play with Switch. Come find me when you guys loosen up a little."

"But Evelyn-" Ezra protested.

"Duchess-" Jared complained at the same moment. Evelyn was already walking away, tickling Switch as she did. He giggled. Moments later they were gone. Jared and Ezra looked at each other.

"How do you know the Duchess?" Jared asked.

"We're old friends. We've saved each other's lives a bunch of times," Ezra replied.

"You're not here about the liberty movement, are you?" Jared asked suspiciously. Ezra remembered what Evelyn had told him earlier.

"That's why I came from Naboo," Ezra said. "I'm supposed to advise her."

"Tell her to end the movement, or at least withdraw her support. There really is an assassin after her. If she doesn't withdraw from the movement, they could try to kill her again," Jared said.

"They already tried?" Ezra asked.

"The attempted poisoning was real. The Duchess just doesn't believe me."

"I'm not surprised. She can be pretty stubborn when she wants to be," Ezra agreed.

"We should probably move onto the tests," Jared decided. "Just to make sure you aren't anything in disguise."

"What will I have to do?" Ezra asked.

"Nothing too difficult. I just need a blood sample. I'll run it through my scanner. It will just identify your race and age. If you're a known bounty hunter or assassin, it will tell me," Jared said. Ezra reluctantly extended an arm. Jared took a small blood sample and plugged it into a small device. He looked at the device for several moments without speaking.

"Interesting," Jared said slowly.

"What?" Ezra asked.

"You're not an assassin. I thought you would be an assassin for sure," Jared told him.

"I still haven't made up my mind about you," Ezra replied. Jared put away the small device.

"We should find the Duchess," he said. "She tends to get into trouble when no one is keeping an eye on her."

"You mean I should find her," Ezra pointed out. "Feel free to go away."

"Same goes for you," Jared replied. "I'd be happy to show you the exit."

The two boys, united by a common goal, left to find Duchess Evelyn.