Chapter 11 - Agravaine the Aggravating Arse

A/N - I'm sorry for the late chapter guys. I had some major writers block for this chapter and had to write and rewrite it multiple times. As you can see I couldn't exactly think up of a proper chapter title either... I hope the chapter will still be enjoyable though and it's also shorter so I'm sorry guys. >.<

The next one should be better, hopefully. 

-----

Agravaine's words continue to swirl about in the king's head for the duration of the week. Arthur can hardly find himself concentrating on any task for longer than a few minutes without his mind wandering back to the suspicion growing about the Court Physician and his manservant. The more the words replay themselves in his head the more his suspicion grows. He tries to brush it aside, knowing that his uncle's words are based upon pure speculation, but the doubt is still there nonetheless. It continues to grow, to fester in his mind until he can barely stand the sight of his servant wandering through his chambers.

He catches himself scowling at the boy when he isn't looking, catches himself glaring in suspicion when the servant's back is turned. He hasn't visited Gaius either during the time. He's only able to regard the old man with caution when he passes. He would find himself crouched outside the physician's room whenever he sees Merlin visit the old man, wondering if he'll hear them discussing matters worth noting. He's never able to find anything amiss. He only hears Hunith asking her son about his day or Gaius instructing the boy on the ways of the physicians trade. Arthur would always leave the hall moments later, chiding himself for acting in such a way, for having such doubts.

Arthur stirs the spoon in his soup, staring at the contents spinning in endless circles in the bowl. He can hear Merlin shuffling about in the room, picking up the king's dirtied clothes and stuffing them away in the basket for washing. He hears the footsteps move closer to him, only ceasing when he can see the tips of Merlin's boots out of the corner of his eye. He looks up, turning to his servant with a glare.

Merlin gives Arthur a shy smile, one lacking in its usual brightness. He shifts in his spot, hands behind his back as he regards Arthur with a sense of caution.

The king averts his gaze, not able to look at the boy any longer while knowing that the loud mouthed idiot has grown silent because of his actions. He had watched as Merlin grew distant over the course of the week. He could see the hurt in the boy's eyes every time Arthur snapped at him angrily or when he caught the king watching him with eyes filled with suspicion. He saw the way Merlin flinched on occasion when he approached, the servant always on edge when he addressed him in fear of the king's wrath. He hates seeing the boy in such a way, especially knowing that it was all his fault. He missed Merlin's banter, his insults, his laugh, and his bright smile, but no matter how hard Arthur tries he can't shake the doubt from his mind.

"Arthur?" Merlin calls, voice quiet.

The king stops stirring, setting the spoon down in the bowl before looking up at the boy. He hasn't heard Merlin call him by his name for a few days now and it's refreshing to hear.

"A friend of mine said if something's wrong... you should talk to people. Talk to your family... or your friends," Merlin says, trying yet again for a smile.

"There's nothing wrong," Arthur mutters, unable to stop the coldness from seeping into his voice.

Merlin frowns, the smile dropping. "You shouldn't keep things to yourself. It'll only hurt you more."

The king scowls, "And why should I confide in you for my problems?"

"Because regardless of what you think I'm your friend and I care about you." Merlin smiles, the same bright smile he used to always show.