I jump and put my hand on my stomach. Maybe I just imagined it.

Kick. Kick.

“Oh!” I begin to laugh, “that’s my baby!”

**George’s POV**

I sit staring at the dining room wall. Fred is beside me. Sirius is at the head of the table. Remus is at the foot of the table. We sit in silence.

It’s been one month since Maddie left. I didn’t tell anyone what we were fighting about, but it eats away at my heart.

When I first hear it I think I’m dreaming.

“GEORGE!”

Maddie bursts into the room, looking overjoyed. I jump to my feet.

“Oh, George! The baby’s fine!” she cries, hugging me tightly, “it’s just fine! Oh, I was so worried!”

“What’re you talking about?” I ask, squeezing her tightly. I feel Fred, Remus and Sirius join in the hug.

“Oh, thank God,” Remus murmurs.

“Get off you lot!” Maddie exclaims, “we’re fine!”

“Where did you go?” Sirius demands, “and why?”

“I went to our old house,” she replies, “and I just needed some time.”

“Explain about the baby,” I say, dragging Maddie over to sit down.

“Well, I was reading that book and it says that if you don’t notice any growth for over a week, or if there’s no movement at twenty weeks there’s a high chance of miscarriage,” she explains, “and I was terrified because I thought I’d lost my precious baby, but then it started kicking! It just wanted me to tell it I love it!”

I feel tears well in my eyes and blink them away.

“This is a change,” I say. Maddie nods.

“I’m so sorry,” she says, grabbing my hand, “I was just wallowing in self-pity. I wouldn’t give up my – our – baby for anything in the world!”

I lean back in my chair, feeling as if I would quite like to faint.

“Oh, George,” Maddie says sympathetically, “let’s get you to bed. You look exhausted.”

“I’ve only been trying to find you for a month,” I reply, “why would I be tired?”

Maddie leans over and kisses me. I hear Sirius clear his throat pointedly, but Maddie doesn’t pull away for another moment.

“Come on,” she says, taking my hand.

“Are you two packed?” Mum asks the next morning.

“For what?” I ask, pouring out some pumpkin juice.

“You we meant to be back at school two weeks ago!” She points out.

“Oh, yeah, right,” Fred replies, “we’re pretty much done.”

I think of our room, strewn with clothes and books.

 “Morning!” Maddie says brightly, walking in. I leap to my feet and pull her into a hug.

“You’ll apparate home,” Mum continues, “and travel by Floo to Gryffindor Tower.”

“I’m not leaving,” I tell her, “I’m staying here with Maddie.”
“No, you’re not!” Mum and Maddie say simultaneously.

“Yes, I am!”

“No,” Maddie shakes her head firmly, then lowers her voice, “you have to finish the research!”

“Forget-”

“George, I’m not arguing with you,” she says, cutting me short, “you’re going and that’s final.”

“Why can’t we Floo from here?” Fred asks.

“The Floo network is being watched,” Mum replies, “it’s not safe.”

“But, mum, what if-”

“Drop it,” Maddie tells me. I sigh and sit down.

“Oh!” Maddie exclaims, “good morning!”

She grabs my hand and puts it on her stomach. I gasp as I feel a soft thump.

“That’s so weird!”

Maddie laughs.

“You should feel it from the inside,” she replies.

“Can I?” Fred asks, uncertainly extending his hand.

“Oh, go ahead,” she shrugs. He puts his hand next to mine.

“That’s boy alright,” he says expertly.

“How do you know?” Maddie laughs.

“Only a boy could kick like that.”

He grimaces as Maddie’s foot hits his shin.

“I take that back,” he groans, “but I still think it’s a boy.”

“You can sometimes tell by things you crave,” Mum says knowingly, “if it’s a girl you tend to crave sweet things. If it’s a boy more salty things.”

“Probably a boy then,” Maddie says, rubbing her hand over her stomach, “a little Freddy.”

Fred looks delighted.

“Aren’t we meant to decide a name together?” I ask, to tease Fred. Maddie grins at me.

“No way.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this chapter isn't great :P Next will be better! Thanks for reading :)