Chapter 13

Everything had happened so fast, Lucy almost missed what had happened. She had a now sobbing Michelle in her arms when she heard Wendy scream. Lucy had been terrified, the girl had a claw to her neck though she tried to put on a brave face. Gajeel and Natsu were petrified, though as Lucy watched, she saw a calm, almost a blankness wash over Natsus face.

"You're going to be fine Wendy." He said, giving her a sad smile.

Lucy couldnt believe her eyes as she watched the man release Wendy, who quickly crawled to Gajeel. The man scooped her up and held her to his chest as Natsu sank to his knees. They had discussed this during one of their first meetings, she remembered her and Cana joking about it.

Of course it would take Wendys life at stake to force him to bloodbend.

"You ok?" he quietly asked Wendy, his forehead beaded with sweat and his body shaking slightly. The girl nodded, her eyes tearing and Lucy barely heard her say his name. She didn't need Wendys gift to know what he was thinking. She saw it in his eyes and he looked like he was going to be sick.

Gajeel set Wendy down and checked her neck, his face an angry mask. Wendy tried to wipe her eyes, nodding towards Natsu slightly. She must have heard something in the mans thoughts, because he nodded and stood. At that point, everyone was gathering closer, though Lucy knew Natsu wouldn't have wanted the attention.

"Why don't we all go inside? Michelle, these are my friends, you're safe with them. Erza, would you mind taking her inside?" She wanted to do it herself, but Michelle was now safe. There was someone else who needed her now.

Easily taking the hint, everyone started towards the house. Levy, who had summoned Baghira during the fight, asked him to check the surrounding land for any stragglers. Slowly everyone trickled inside, leaving Lucy, Gajeel, Wendy and Natsu outside.

Natsus shoulders were shaking as he stared down at his hands, never having moved from his spot. Gajeel knelt down in front of him, patiently waiting for Natsu to look up. When he finally did, Lucys heart ached at his misty eyes and pale face. Gajeel said nothing, no words were needed. He grabbed his younger cousin by the shoulders and pulled him close, wrapping him into a protective hug. Natsu began to shake more, trembling hands reaching up to clutch at the back of Gajeels shirt as he buried his face into his shoulder.

Gajeel held him like that for a long while, allowing Natsu to sob for as long as he wanted. Wendy walked up behind Gajeel as if summoned, which she probably was, and Natsu reached up a hand to her. She took it and allowed him to pull her into the hug, Gajeel easily squeezing her beside him. Lucy felt like she was intruding on such an intimate family moment, but the look Gajeel gave her said he wanted her there for Natsu.

When he had finally quieted down he pulled away, wiping his eyes as he caught his breath. Gajeel finally spoke up, "Are you gonna be alright?"

Natsu let out a shakey laugh, the smile not quite reaching his eyes. "I suppose I am... I'm just gonna go walk, clear my head alright?"

Gajeel looked like he didn't want to let Natsu out of his sight, but after a glance to Lucy he nodded. He ran a hand through Natsus hair before standing, picking Wendy up once against before heading to the house. He stopped to give Lucys shoulder a gentle squeeze as Natsu stood and wandered off towards the gate.

Lucy followed him to the pasture he wandered in to, she didn't know what she was going to do once she caught up to him. The field was bare save for a few scattered trees and several large water troughs. It didn't take her long to catch up to him on the flat terrain, and she was already expecting his first words.

"How can you stand to be around a monster like me?" He had stopped abruptly, running his hand through his hair and gripping it.

"Natsu, you arn't a monster." She knew he would feel this way.