[ix] outstayed welcome

Start from the beginning

•••

"What's up with you two?" She questioned me when we were back at the Institute. It was just the two of us now, in the entrance corridor.

"With who?" I shot her a confused look, although I had a feeling I knew where this was going.

"You and Alec." She spelled it out for me.

"What? Nothing." I brushed it off.

"Really?" She gave me a don't-shit-with-me look. "You two seemed pretty close when I came in."

"He's in love with Jace, remember?" I blurted out. It was the first thing that came to mind.

"Perhaps. But that doesn't mean he can't have feelings for anyone else." She shrugged. "And I saw the way you looked at him back at Magnus's apartment..."

"You know I really like this wall." I pointed at the wall in front of me, trying to stir the conversation in a different direction. "It's very... pretty."

Nice one, Mia.

"It's white." Izzy retorted.

"White's a great color." I observed. "Did you know it's all the colors merged together. Isn't that funny?"

"What I find funny is that you can't handle this conversation." Izzy replied, smirking.

"...About the wall?"

I thought I was handling it pretty well.

"About Alec!" She exclaimed.

Oh.

"...I have no idea what you're talking about." I crossed my arms. "We're just friends."

She scoffed. "You two are the furthest thing from friends I have ever seen. And I think you know that."

I was about to reply something. Not sure what yet. When thankfully Clary stormed in. "Alec's a dick." She uttered, frustrated.

Of all the people she could have brought up in the conversation... Why.

"There's a shocker." I mumbled.

"What did he do this time?" Izzy asked Clary, ignoring my remark.

"He took the only way I had to see my mother." She explained further seeing the blank looks on our faces. "The necklace. The one my mom gave me."

Apparently Izzy knew what she was talking about but I still stared at her cluelessly. "Not following."

"She gave me this necklace that when I touched it and thought of someone I could see them." Clary disclosed. "It's how I found Dot." Before Valentine took her... A sad look washed over her thinking of the witch who had been taken. And was most likely dead. "And I managed to see my mother. She was with Valentine. But Alec just took it and put it somewhere I can't get to."

"So, Alec blew right by you and did what he wanted." Izzy gathered. "I'd be angry, too."

"Yeah no kidding. The asshole." I crossed my arms, irritated. What right did he have to take Clary's stuff?

"Well I guess the necklace was dangerous." Izzy pointed out.

"I'll take that risk on my own." Clary responded.

"But you're not on your own." She replied. "You're with us now."

"That doesn't mean she can't keep her own necklace." I defended Clary. "Besides-" I was cut off short by the Institute door swinging open to reveal a woman in her late thirties, coming out of a portal I presume.