[ii] ray of sunshine

After we got out of the club Clary ran up to a taxi and asked to go home, whilst I was left to go back inside and look for Simon and Maureen. I had to make sure they were safe, and reassure them Clary was okay.

"She just left?" Simon asked.

I nodded. "She wasn't feeling too good." Technically that wasn't a lie.

"That sucks." Maureen commented. "I mean on her birthday..."

"Yeah, bummer." If only they knew how bad it really was... I mean, she didn't even want to talk to me about it. I only hoped her mom would take this as the time to tell her everything.

I exited the club and pulled out my phone, dialing Luke's number. "You've reached Luke Garroway. Leave a message after the beep." His voicemail answered for him.

I sighed. Really Luke? You choose this as the time for not answering? "We need to talk. Clary saw some things... Let's just say she sort of knows something's off. Call me." He probably made the whole kitchen explode with his stupid tentative to cook...

"You." An unfamiliar voice spoke from behind me, causing me to jump in surprise. I turned around to see the blond guy Clary had flirted with earlier, the same blond guy who was fighting those demons. On his right, stood a dark haired girl dressed a white top and matching skirt, clearly confident with her body. On his left, my eyes landed on the a tall, raven-haired guy who had shot the demon with his arrow before it attacked me. He was even better looking upclose. "You were in there with that redhead girl." The blond dude spoke again.

I shifted uncomfortably but tried to compose myself. "Yeah." I crossed my arms. "So?"

"She's one of us, isn't she?" He questioned.

I bit my lip, unsure of how to handle the situation. On one hand, I could tell them about her, perhaps she could become an actual Shadowhunter like them, battling demons and... Okay, yeah, no, I really couldn't picture Clary getting through a fight. She could barely get through gym class.

I opted for option two. "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Oh come on, the blade lit up when she touched it." The blond continued, edging closer. "It only does that with Shadowhunters."

I shrugged. "Maybe it's faulty."

"Give it up, Jace." The raven-haired guy spoke for the first time. "She's clearly not going to say anything."

The blond guy, Jace, ignored him. "All Shadowhunters should be at the Institute. You should know that, werewolf." He spat the last word out.

It was common knowledge that Shadowhunters and Downworlders didn't get along. They thought they were better than us, and we thought they were pricks. And only one of us was right.

"You know, maybe if you said please I would actually consider telling you." I informed him, my arms crossed.

Jace sighed. "Please?"

"Nope. Too late now." I waved him off. "You had your shot."

Just as I was about to get rid of them, my phone rang. Thinking it was Luke, I replied immediately. "Finally-"

"Mia it's me." Clary's shaky voice pierced through the phone. "My mom- there was an attack I-I didn't know who else to call-"

"Wow, wow, calm down. Where are you?" I questioned.

"At home, I-" Before she could finish her sentence the line fell.

"Clary! Clary!" I cried. "Damn it." I ran my hand through my hair.