[ix] outstayed welcome

I found Alec, he was sitting on the ground, his back resting on the stone wall of the warlock's home. "Hey." I managed to let out.

Alec glanced up, surprised to see me there. "I'm not in the mood to argue, Mia." He said before looking down again.

I was slightly offended by the fact he thought all I wanted to do was fight. "I wasn't going to."

"Really?" Alec's eyes met mine again. "So you're not here to blame me for your best friend losing her memories forever?"

I sighed, walking over to him. "It's not your fault." He watched me as I sat next to him, my back leaning against the cold wall. "I mean, technically it is..." I considered. Probably not helping... "But I know you didn't mean to do it."

"Yeah." He breathed out. "But you have every right to be mad."

"Well I'm not." I told him. And it was the truth. "You were just shocked, that's all. Jace finding out how you feel-"

"Don't." He cut me off short. "You don't know anything about that."

"You can't deny it, Alec. It's out in the open now." I reminded him. "You're in love with Jace, it's okay, there's nothing to be ashamed of."

"I'm not." He snapped, his eyes meeting mine. "I'm not..." He searched for the word.

I decided to help him out. "Into guys?" I raised my eyebrows at him.

He sighed, looking away. "I like girls too." Somehow that was good to hear, I wasn't sure why, it just was. He shook his head. "This will ruin everything between us." I knew he was talking about Jace, their relationship as friends was at stake, but knowing Jace, he probably didn't even make the connection.

I placed a hand on his arm, urging him to look my way. "Alec, it's normal for you to love him. He's your best friend."

"He's my parabatai." He corrected.

"Exactly." I didn't question the whole parabatai thing, I never understood it much, although Luke explained it to me once before. "He won't think twice about it."

"You figured it out." He pointed out, turning to meet my gaze once more.

"I guess I'm just exceptionally smart." Not really, but it sounded better than letting Izzy take the blame.

He let out a laugh. "Izzy told you, didn't she?" He realized.

Well... crap.

"...Maybe." I avoided eye contact, my shoes were suddenly very interesting.

He sighed. "I'm going to kill her."

"No you won't. Because you love her, just like you love Jace. There is nothing strange about any of this. So stop torturing yourself because of it." My hand left his shoulder as I stood up. "Now, do you want to stay here and moan over this or come back to the Institute with us and forget about it?"

A smile tugged on Alec's lips as he stood up to face me. "Thanks."

I frowned. "For what?"

"Understanding." He replied.

"Anytime." I smiled back at him, our eyes still locked on one another. There was a silence between us, not an awkward one though, a comfortable one.

"Guys?" It was Izzy who broke the silence. "We have to go." I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, suddenly realizing how close we were standing.

"Right." Alec spoke, his voice seemingly distant, stepping away from me and walking towards his sister.

I followed, meeting Izzy's suspicious face as I passed by her.