No Name (One-shot story)

{1980 – Off The Wall era}.

She wandered down the gravel path, her long, black hair floating gently on the calm breeze. It was Summer, yet she still felt numb and frozen, as if it were Winter. However, the cold feeling could be felt by more than just her skin – it touched her heart, leaving her constantly heartbroken, and in a state of depression.

She had no name. At birth, her parents left her in the forest, unknowing as to whether she would be found by another soul. The logic, to them, was that someone would walk through the forest one day, and find the girl, but that occurred only when she was a teen. She had grown up without being taught to talk, or to string a sentence together, and kept herself alive by eating and drinking anything that didn't scare her with its appearance. It was a wonder that she was still alive. She only learnt how to communicate properly once she was taken under passer-by, Blake Hardy's wing, three years previously.

At nineteen years old, she was told by Blake that it was time to go out into the big world by herself; to be the way she was before she met him. In the two years she knew him, he never gave her a name – the reason unknown. Being naïve and innocent, she agreed to leave, and so set off into the big, wide world once more to fend for herself.

She was now twenty years old, and had been somewhat okay up until now. Blake had given her money to start her out; she still had some left over. She had bought herself clothing, food and water, which helped to rid the malnutrition she had suffered from her poor diet as a child. The only problem she had now, was loneliness – which was what caused the cold, numb feeling to intoxicate her daily. It haunted her soul, causing her to cry often for her misfortune.

As she walked down the gravel path in the forest on this particular day, however, she spotted a young man walking the opposite way, towards her. This filled her with fright; the only human she had ever trusted was Blake, and he had taught her that she shouldn't trust anybody before getting to know them well enough.

In a panic, she darted the other way, which left the young man puzzled. He thought to himself, "Why did she just run away?", and gradually the curiosity got the better of him, resulting in him trying to find the girl again.

He followed the path speedily, but was unable to call for her because he didn't know her name. As he ran, goosebumps formed on his chocolate skin, whilst the breeze ran through his slick, subtle afro. Why am I feeling so cold all of a sudden? he wondered to himself, but brushed it off so he could focus on finding the girl.

Meanwhile, the girl reached a river; the water was trickling downstream elegantly, creating a gentle, calming sound that relaxed her. She decided to sit there a while, coming to the conclusion that the man was gone for good.

The man wasn't giving up. He came across the start of the river, before looking in the direction it flowed. In the distance, he saw a silhouette, of a person sitting by the water. He clambered over tree branches and stepped over tree trunks, until he reached the person – the girl that had run away from him.

"Excuse me." His voice was soft and mild, yet still possessed a subtle manliness, "Are you okay?"

The girl, shocked that he had found her, looked up at the man, her expression unreadable to him, "Yes." Her lack of words wasn't because she was being rude; rather, it was because she hadn't learnt enough words to hold a deep conversation yet.

"What's your name?" the man asked her, slowly walking closer to her.

"No name," she answered simply, shifting backwards a little with every step the man took towards her, "Your name?" Her voice was hoarse, as if she needed to clear her throat, but that was due to the low level of confidence she felt in talking to this human being.