he says he loves me,

"I've got an important meeting today."

No answer.

"I won't be able to come home for lunch."

No answer.

He sighed, rubbing his hands down his face, falling back on the expensive leather single sofa behind him, bracing his hands on his knees as he looked at her, a storm of longing and pain brewing behind the sharp silver of his eyes.

"Are you okay?"

In response, her frown deepened and she reached out for the remote on the coffee table intent on increasing the volume to drown out his words.

He beat her to it.

Scowling, he studied the remote for a moment before clicking a button.

She watched as Gordon Ramsay faded off the screen into a darkness and then soon after that, a black nothing.

A black nothing like her life.

She wasn't really watching the TV, just the screen.

She needed a distraction, anything to ignore the man in the expensive suit sitting across from her. Staring.

He did that a lot, staring. Never at anything else, just her.

"Do you want to come into the office with me?" He asked, concerned.

A million questions rushed through his mind at that moment.

Will she be okay? Will she manage to make lunch? What if she got hurt and I wasn't there to protect her? But one stuck out: Will she miss me?

Her lips turned down in a scowl, her eyes still not lifting to look at him. Not even a glance. And that killed him.

Her expression and sour demeanour was answer enough for him.

"I'll see you tonight." He sighed, disappointed. Grabbing his briefcase and fixing his tie, he stood up and walked over to her.

She made no move to say nor do anything, not even acknowledge his presence. But she didn't push him away, and that was enough for him.

"I love you." He mumbled against her skin as he placed a soft, tender kiss against her temple, his lips lingering there for more than necessary. It was only when she turned her head away from him and his affectionate kiss did he pull away.

"Always." He promised her and then left.