9. Rushing Current

Her hands were on him, her thumbs brushing his cheeks, and her fingers mingling in his hair. Dark brown eyes bored into his, holding him trapped within their stare. The way she touched and looked at him was not at all indicative of friendship. Shawn could see the beginnings of something else stirring behind her eyes, and as much as he shouldn't, he liked it. God, how he liked it. Another moment longer and he'd be forced to lean in and take her mouth with his. Feel her warmth and softness, taste the sweetness of her lips. It wouldn't be his fault. He wouldn't be able to help it.

No, he couldn't do that. He couldn't. Not only was she Lauren's friend, she was his. And she was hurting, projecting that pain onto him and turning it into something else entirely. He couldn't soil that, couldn't take advantage of her. What he thought he saw couldn't really be what she felt. But God, he couldn't pull away. He begged for the strength to just move.

To be strong enough for just that moment.

To do the right thing.

He didn't want to see her like he saw other girls. As things to kiss, hold, and ultimately toss away when he stopped feeling fulfilled by them. He was much too damaged to be anything more. And she deserved more. More than he was. More than he could ever hope to be. He didn't want her to look at him like that.

But she was so close. So damn close he could feel her breath flowing over his cheeks. And she kept looking at him. Did she have any idea at all what she could do to any male with that look? When she batted those wide, innocent eyes? Eyes that let every single emotion gush out and straight into the soul of whoever dared stare into them. She was killing him softly with just a look. A safe, spotless, untainted gaze. And she didn't have a clue.

"Ahem."

And with just that sound the spell was broken.

Shawn breathed out silently in relief. Removing his hands from her was nearly impossible, but he managed. Camila's fell from his face as she turned toward the voice. Standing in the doorway, backlit by the florescent monstrosities the school called lights, were Lauren and Camila's mother. Lauren's eyes looked as though they may fall out at any second, and Sinu looked—well, she just looked mad.

"Karla Camila Cabello. What in the world are you doing?"

Shawn stood slowly from his crouched position on the floor and Camila followed, swaying slightly as she stretched to full height. He reached out, grabbing the tops of her arms to steady her. She peeked up at him, giving him a small, apologetic but grateful smile before turning back to her mother.

"Honey, what's wrong?" Sinu's anger was replaced by concern as she crossed the threshold and wrapped her arms around Camila's shoulders.

Shawn released his hold on her and moved a few feet away. Lauren narrowed her eyes and studied him curiously. He stuck his hands in his pockets and glared back at her.

"N—nothing." Camila stiffened under her mother's embrace.