Thirty Four

I sit on the pavement till morning, bags forming under my eyes and the time passing like slow, broken clocks.

I see no figures, no hope. Sleep pulls at me from the back of my mind, trying to make me surrender. I fight the urge to give in, to sleep. Tyler is more important.

Pedestrians have yet to cross this road, considering the night is just now coming to an end.

The sun peaks from the horizon, it's lively glow inspiring me to stay awake, to push through. The sky fades from a dark, thick sky from the night changing into a vibrant pink. The summer trees compliment the sunrise and the orange haze begs me to stay awake.

A figure emerges from a street corner, quickly approaching the bus. It's fast pace frightens me and brightens me all at once, hope of it being Tyler crushing any doubt I have.

"Tyler?" I quietly exclaim, pushing myself from the itchy pavement. The figure stops at the name, confirming it to be him. "T-Tyler, I've been up all night for you."

He stays still, the hoodie shielding his face. I slowly approach him like he's a rigid animal, my arms tucked in, though I lend a hand out for him.

"Don't forget about me," I beg, tears rising from the corners of my eyes. "Whatever happened with Jenna, I don't care, and you might've forgotten about her but please don't forget about me."

"She broke my heart." Tyler replies, his voice broken like a shattered mirror. "And right now I feel like I'm breaking yours."

"You aren't!" I quickly retaliate, walking towards him and grabbing ahold of his arm. "I've just been on edge, just forget about the Jenna stuff! I no longer care-"

"Yes, you do." He groans, shaking his arm free. "You just want to save this poisoned relationship." He tells me, leaning his head back and rubbing his forehead.

"What are you saying..?"

"You deserve someone better than me, Olivia." He says with an emotional voice, "All I do is bring whirlpools of sadness with me and you get sucked right in."

"No." I tell him fiercely, reclaiming his arm. "You don't, and if I didn't want to be in a mess of sadness then why would I date you in the first place? I know who you are, I know how you are, and I'm not gonna let your depression get in the way of our relationship."

He looks at me with tired eyes, his bags much deeper than mine. "Am I even worth anything?" He asks me, my heart cracking with his lacking energy.

"You're worth the world to me." I tell him, not even minding to blink away my tears. I hope he sees the tears, I hope he understands how important he is to me.

His eyes are dull, like he no longer has the feel to push. My hand is clutching his elbow, reassuring him he is my everything.

"The world is full of millions of people, don't you think there's a reason we met? Don't you think there's a reason I'm still fighting for you when they're thousands of other fishes in the sea?" I ask him, tears streaming down my face and pooling on my shirt.

He looks at me with sorrow, like he can't comprehend how much he's put on my shoulders. His warm arms engulf me and he nuzzles his head into my neck, the nook soaked by his tears.

I cry into his shoulder, gripping at the thin hoodie protecting his back.

"Don't you ever do this to me again."
~~~
His voice is raw and weary but his smile is genuine.

"This next song is for a girl who broke my heart." He said into the microphone, his awkward voice silencing the devoted clique.

I'm shocked he'd openly expose he and Jenna's relationship. Maybe he's enlightening the clique because they're always speculating if Tear In My Heart is about me. I wish.

He strums the ukulele, forming the strings into a rather old song and a familiar tune I was not expecting.

"Everyday she inspires me to push on..." He murmurs, still pecking at the cords, "She managed to strike me right here." He says, placing a hand on his chest. "And yet it's a good pain he constantly provide." He clears his voice, restarting the song.

"Wise man say... only fools rush in..."

I clasp my hands over my mouth, is he really singing me a love song?

He suddenly halts, and leans back. "I'm thinking," He says, shifting his stance. "I'm thinking I should bring her out here."

The crowd screams, the cheers and chants overwhelming my eardrums.

"Olivia?" He asks, looking into the darkness of backstage. "Will you come out here?" He lifts his hand up in the air, lazily looking over the crowd to silence them.

They slowly quiet down, the suspense probably tearing them up.

I rub my arms and shake my shoulders, preparing myself to be seen in hundreds of persistent eyes.

I humbly walk towards Tyler, the dim stage lights intimidating me but Tyler's bright smile comforting my nerves.

As I approach him, he begins to strum the chords again.

"But I can't help falling in love with you." I shake my head, not able to believe this is happening. He's serenading me.

"Shall I stay, would it be a sin? If I can't help falling in love with you. Like a river flows surely to the sea, darling so it goes, somethings are meant to be. Take my hand." He says, reaching his arm out and I laugh. I take ahold of his callused fingers as he sings solely without an instrument, his eyes settled on mine and his voice echoing throughout the venue.

"Take my whole life too, for I can't help falling in love with you. Like a river flows surely to the sea, darling so it goes, somethings are meant to be, take my hand. Take my whole life too, for I can't help falling in love with you." He sings, even with his voice straining and his forehead red with sweat, he still manages to make me feel more appreciated than I ever thought I could.

"For I can't help falling in love with you." He finishes. Some unexplainable force pushes me to run into his arms.

I laugh into his shoulder, for once not crying out of sadness but out of happiness.

"I love you, Tyler." I tell him, clutching his back. "More than you will ever know."