Christmas With the Jackson-Chases

When Percy was younger, he and his mom had a tradition on Christmas Eve. They'd curl up on his bed and she'd read him her favourite Christmas rhyme: Twas the night before Christmas. It was the first book he knew how to read and the only one he could honestly say was his favourite. Up until recently, he hadn't had any problem with it.

Now, if Percy were asked about his thoughts on the traditional rhyme, he would have two complaints. 

First, no one would ever say "not a creature was stirring". Not only did it make someone sound like they were two hundred years old, but it didn't make sense. Stirring was what he did when he made blue cookies for Santa Clause, not for anything else.

Second, if someone had a mouse "stirring" in their house, they had a few problems. Of course, some people, Percy would argue, would welcome this Christmas-problem over others. Why? Well, just off the top of his head, Percy had a list of reasons for preferring a mouse in his house over his three young children: Mice don't scream, they don't argue with you about Santa Clause, and they absolutely do not jump on your bed before the sun has risen.

"Get up, Daddy!"

"I am."

Unfortunately for Percy, his half-mumbled response was not convincing enough for his seven-year-old son.

Tugging on Percy's arm, Charlie shouted, "Mommy's already awake!"

A quick glance at Annabeth's side of the bed revealed that was true. When she had gotten up, however, Percy had no idea.

"Stop shouting, Charlie," Percy muttered, though he did sit up and throw off his blankets. No use in trying to sleep now. Whether it was fortunate or not, he was awake.

"But it's Christmas!" Charlie exclaimed.

From down the hall, Percy heard two more happy shouts and despite the early hour, he couldn't keep from smiling to himself. Gods, he loved Christmas.

"Oh really?" he asked. Charlie nodded vigorously. "Has Santa come? It's not Christmas unless he does."

That was enough to send Charlie racing out of the room to check. With just enough time to change, Percy quickly pulled on a sweater than started down the hall after Charlie. As he stepped into the living room, he was met with the sight of all three kids eagerly sorting through the presents under the tree. Annabeth was curled up on the sofa.

"Daddy!" Silena shrieked, making Annabeth jump. "Look what Santa brought us!"

"Silena, don't shout." It was a weak argument since Annabeth was curled up and looking like she might fall asleep at any minute, but Silena nodded dutifully and apologised.

"Daddy," she said, much quieter this time. "Look what Santa brought me!"

Taking a seat beside Annabeth, Percy eyed the small gift box that he knew contained a new Polly Pocket.

"It's small," he teased. "How come Santa got you a small present?"

With a frown, Silena turned back to the other presents that her older siblings were still sorting through.

"Why do I have the small one?" she demanded, glaring at the small collection of gifts.

"I'm not done sorting them yet," Zoe said sharply. Charlie, who was eagerly waiting for her to read the next name, nodded in agreement. "This one is for you, though."

Zoe handed over the bag and Silena took it greedily.

After a few more minutes, all the presents had been sorted and Annabeth had nodded off to sleep. Before Silena could shout or Charlie could jump on her, Percy gently nudged her awake so the kids could start opening their presents.

"Did I get anything?" she asked teasingly, biting back a yawn.

Zoe nodded once and handed her two boxes: one from Percy and the other from all three kids (and also Percy, if he was asked).

Surprised, Annabeth took the two presents and eyed Percy.

"Talk to Santa," he told her calmly. When the kids turned back to their presents, he winked at her.

"Stop," she muttered, elbowing him as her cheeks began to heat up.

"Can we open them now, Mommy?" 

Charlie was bouncing in place and Silena had already started picking at the paper of her soon-to-be Polly Pocket.

"Yes."

Annabeth had barely given permission before all three kids tore into the wrapping paper excitedly. 

It took less than a minute for them to go back to shouting proudly about what they had received. Not for the first time was Percy glad they no longer lived in an apartment building.

It was hours before they finally calmed down. By then, Annabeth had opened her two presents and surprised Percy with two in return. Zoe had looked rather proud when he opened the present from "Santa's Elf" so he made sure to personally thanks whoever Santa's Elf was. 

Breakfast came and went, but the excitement surrounding their new presents did not. Even by late afternoon, Silena was still playing with her new dolls and Charlie had joined in. Zoe wrapped herself up in a blanket and sat down beside the Christmas tree to read her new book. On the sofa, Annabeth slept in Percy's arms and he watched with a small smile on his face. 

The sun set with them all in the same place as they had been when it had risen: in the living room with wrapping paper tossed to and fro. They ate dinner late and even though Percy tried to convince Zoe to set aside her book, he didn't argue very hard. 

Eventually, the kids all fell asleep surrounded by news toys and Percy was once again reminded of his favourite Christmas rhyme. Even if he still didn't agree with the part about "stirring", there was something to be said about the quiet of the house.