Beauty and the Beat (17)

Start from the beginning

“Have fun with your boyfriend,” he called out, and I slammed the door behind me without uttering another word to him.

I couldn’t believe him. He really forgot my birthday! I wouldn’t have cared nearly as much if we hadn’t been friends for all my life! He was even at the hospital when I was born!

This was another reason why I hated him. He said I was important and got all angry whenever I was with Maxxon, but then he goes and forgets things like my birthday. The bastard.

I knew when his birthday was. March twenty-fifth. He was born in 2001. And now today was the fifteenth of November. I was born in 2006 eighteen years ago. He was five years old, and had been at the hospital with his family. And he had forgotten.

I wished I wasn’t this angry. I knew that he wasn’t required to remember my birthday, but it still did hurt that he forgot.

My drive to school was silent. I decided not to turn the radio on like I usually did. I wanted to drive in peace and quiet.

Already, my birthday was turning into a mess just because one person didn’t remember it. Why was I letting it bother me so much?

I let out a sigh as I opened my locker for my costume once I finally got to school. I didn’t know why, but it really bothered me that Ethan didn’t remember that it was my birthday. I shouldn’t have cared, but I did. I cared a lot.

“Hello,” a new voice said, but I didn’t jump. I only glanced at Maxxon as he stood beside me.

All I said back to him was, “Hi.”

I wasn’t in the mood for any of his obnoxious comments. I was already feeling bad enough.

“Happy birthday,” he grinned, leaning against the locker next to mine.

“Thanks,” I thanked simply, not even looking at him. “I’m surprised that you remembered that it was my birthday.”

Maxxon seemed surprised. “Of course I did,” he said now. “I’ve known you for fourteen years. You think I’m going to just forget your birthday?”

I finally looked at him now. I had known Ethan even longer than him, yet Maxxon knew when my birthday was while Ethan had completely forgotten. And even though they both treated me badly, Maxxon always seemed to make up for it somehow. I just didn’t get how they both could be such pigs but then be so nice to me.

“Here,” he now said, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a small box. My eyes widened as he practically tossed it at me, and I almost dropped it. “Have you ever learned how to catch?”

I ignored his comment and opened the tiny box, letting out a gasp when I saw a pair of earrings inside. I didn’t even know what I was supposed to say right away, so I just kept staring at them.

“You’re speechless,” Maxxon grinned, his hands in his pockets. “That’s a good sign.”

“Why did you…” was all I was able to utter, blinking a few times to make sure that they were real. “Why would you get me something like that?”

Maxxon rolled his eyes. “Because it’s your birthday.”

“But we haven’t ever given each other birthdays gifts,” I reminded him, in case he had somehow forgotten. “So it wasn’t like I was expecting anything from you today.”

Maxxon merely shrugged, trying to act as if this was no big deal. But I could tell how much this really mattered to him. “I just thought I should get something for you this year,” he told me uncaringly. “It’s your eighteenth birthday, and that’s important. It’s not illegal for me to date you now.”