Backbeat

10/04/09 Morning

Too bad for us. Minato gets to skip out of school while he’s tripping out in the Velvet Room. Good on him. “‘Sup Mitsuru-san?” She came down from the stairs, and thankfully she was fully dressed. Unlike two days ago. “I would just like to talk to you about last night.” She sat down in a chair, and gestured for me to sit down as well. “What about?” She glanced at me with a disbelieving look but continued. “You aren’t in the least bit worried? About what you saw?”

“No… I’ve been aware of this hour for about ten years.” The red-head flinched, but returned to her talk to me after a few seconds. “Then… You know about Persona? That creature that formed when Minato used that ‘gun’?” I nodded. “Yeah… I’m guessing you’re like a group of Persona users from the looks of it?” I grinned. “Um… Yes.” Hearing the proper lady Mitsuru stutter like this was entertaining, admittedly.

“Unfortunately, I have no interest in joining your little team if you’re asking. I can guess that you’re doing it for a good reason, but I have other things…” I trailed off. “…To be doing.” I glanced at her with a smile. Yeah. Like being the Reaper and scaring you half to death. That’ll be fun again. “But… perhaps… we can negotiate?”

I stood up and left for the door, grabbing my keys. “I’d be happy to help you difficult tasks if you’d like?” I grinned at her once more, and she looked off to the side. “That is a good idea… If you wouldn’t mind staying at this dorm, then I’d be happy to oblige.”

Ah. I just remembered. “You probably want proof that I have the potential right?” Mitsuru looked at me disbelievingly once more. A blue card fell into each of my outstretched palms and I commanded Kazuya and Deity to appear.

“Is there anything you need us for, Master?” The knight asked. “Not really. Just want you to meet Mitsuru. Say hello Deity.” I grinned up at the light enveloped Persona. “Ah yes. My name is Deity, and that silver one is Kazuya. A pleasure to meet you.” Thank you so much for playing along to this, the both of you.

Kazuya and Deity nodded as they disappeared in blue mist. “So… Is this alright?” I looked at the Kirijo heiress, trying to hide the hurt in my eyes. That embrace that she gave me on that night is something I’ll never be able to erase from my mind…

“Uh… Yes. Definitely.” Probably never felt two Personae as powerful as this before. “I’ll be going then. See you… Mitsuru-san.” With that, I ran outside and jumped on my bike, firing up the ignition. You know… Why hasn’t anyone asked about how and why I’ve got this bike? Whatever. A bridge I’ll come to burning later. Or crossing. Probably burning.

I slipped my helmet on, and readied the ignition key and revved up the engine. It has been a long time, Pale Rider.

Evening

“Makoto! ‘Sup man.” I looked up from my book and found Akihiko. “Oh. Hi Aki. Are you ok after that?” The silver-haired boxer grinned. “Nothing that’ll keep me down forever.” I smiled at this. Still the old determined guy he was. “So… Has Mitsuru told you about me yet?” Akihiko looked at me inquisitive. “No… What about?”

“Persona?” I snapped my book shut. That caught him off guard. “You have the potential?” He deadpanned at me. “Give me some proof.” I stood up from my chair and summoned Deity into my hand. “My, my Master. It seems that you have taken a liking to summoning us for show. Not that I mind, but don’t you care for the wellbeing of your friend’s eyes?”

“You can stop joking around.” Deity disappeared in blue mist leaving one stunned Akihiko. “So… proof enough for you?” I grinned. “…Sure…” I placed my hand on his shoulder. “Tell ya what? Tell me if you feel any better tomorrow.” I silently cast a Diarahan placing his ribs back into place seamlessly and painlessly.