4. Time to Meet the Whole Family

This chapter goes out to lisasingh25! She's got an awesome book called Loving the Bad Boy and she's a great person to talk to :)

4. Time to Meet the Parents

Last night, I had told Parker to set his alarm to 6:30 so he could wake me up. He was, at first, skeptical, but once he beat me at arm wrestling that night at dinner, he decided that he would. Yup, that’s right. He beat me for once. Although, telling him to wake me up was a big mistake on my part since Parker was not a morning person. His idea of waking me up was to throw my sheets onto the floor and kick me off my bed, making me screech and land on the ground with a thud.

“Parker!” I growled at him, rubbing my sore bum while watching him trudge back to his room, probably to collapse on his bed for another 10 minutes of sleep. Silently cursing, I got up and did my usual morning routine. It really wasn’t much, just brush the teeth, wash the face, apply the lotion, brush the hair and done.

As I was passing the window, I noticed that Brandon had plastered a piece of paper onto his window. With black sharpie he wrote You look cute. Wear that to school. I looked down at my outfit and back to the note. I was wearing a white tank top, and light pink plaid shorts, so basically my pjs. There was no way I was wearing this to school.

- - -

“Hey Alice!” My mother called out as I walked into the kitchen, wearing dark blue skinny jeans and a flowy black tank that had a white dream catcher printed on it. “Oh, you’re wearing the shirt I bought you!” She chimed, staring at my clothes as she washed the pots and pan at the sink.

My mom had her dark black hair pulled into a messy bun, and she was wearing her running outfit. She took pride in being fit and muscular and so she would wake up around 5 and go for a run. She dragged me along once, but stopped after that because I had beaten her in a sprinting contest home. Instead of the dark brown eyes that Parker and me had, mom had light hazel eyes, which I envied because there were specks of gold in them. She also had a kind face, with high cheekbones and no wrinkles, which wasn’t surprising for her age. She married dad at 18 and had Parker when she was 19, making her 37.

My dad was sitting at the kitchen island, a newspaper in one hand and his mahogany colored mug in the other. Unlike the rest of the family, dad had dirty blonde hair, constantly expressing his sadness of us kids not inheriting his gene. He even bought hair bleach one day, trying to convince me to dye my hair so it looked like he fit in. He did, however, gave us kids his dark brown eyes, which he took pride in. Dad was very kind, which reflected in his face, and had deep laugh lines from being so happy all the time. He was the tallest one in our family and also the strongest. He swears he doesn’t work out, but I know for a fact that he has a gym in the office he works at.

“I ran out of black t-shirts,” I shrugged, grabbing a waffle from the pile on the island and taking a bite out of it. Changing the subject, I turned and gave my best begging face. My lips were turned to a pout, and my eyes grew bigger. “Can I please have my curtains back?” This was the second time I asked mom this question. The first was last night at dinner with dad and Parker, but even the guys couldn’t get mom to budge.

“Alice, just trust in your mom,” my dad mumbled as he turned the page in his newspaper. When it came to mom and her decisions, after one attempt, he was done. He compared going against mom to fighting a war that was near to impossible to win. My mom just nodded in response, making me frown and eat my waffle silently on the counter.

I noticed my mom staring at the backside of my arm, but didn’t move away when she pinched it lightly, however it gave me a strong shock of pain. “Ow! Mom, what was that for?”

“Alice, you have a giant bruise there. Did you get in a fight?”

Turning my arm over, I saw the fat purplish bruise about the size of fist. “Oh this. I got this from falling down the steps yesterday. It was so embarrassing,” I half lied, rubbing it sorely.

“You sure? You know you’re supposed to get your brother to beat the sense out of anyone bothering you,” she replied, grabbing my other arm and searching for another bruise. My dad also joined in as he turned me around and was inspecting the skin on my back. “He’s popular so one look from him should have the boys running off and the girls fawning over him.”

I wiggled out of their grasp and turned to them, placing me arms up, ready to push them away if they continued their assault. “No, I swear. Stop being so weird you guys,” I pleaded to them. “And mom, I don’t need Parker’s help.”

“Now Alice, what did I tell you about calling your family weird.” Dad narrowed his eyes, but gave a smirk as he nudged mom. “Only your mother is weird.”

My mom slapped my dad against the arm. She was about to argue with that but was cut off with the loud footsteps of Parker as he ran down the stairs and into the kitchen. “Come on Ali, we’re late!” Parker exclaimed, grabbing a waffle, stuffing it in his mouth and running out the kitchen door. I rolled my eyes, picking up Parker’s keys from the counter and holding it up in the air for my parents to see. They just let out a laugh, shooing me away with their hands, my dad tossing me my backpack afterwards.

“I can’t believe I beat you yesterday!” Parker exclaimed excitedly, banging the wheel with an addicting beat.

I couldn’t help but smile at his childish ways, crinkling my nose at him and making a funny face. “Yeah, yeah. Don’t let it go to your head. You finally beat your little sister. I don’t think that’s something to brag about with your friends.” Parker instantly shut up and pinched me in the arm. “Oww! What’s with this family and pinching me today?”

“Hey, I know you can fight your own battles, but just so know that if you need help, I’m here for you.” I frowned at his words that made me feel guilty to the pit of my stomach. You see, the reason why I never involved my brother in my fights was because he has an athletic scholarship he’s hoping to get, and if he hurts himself too badly, he’ll be put on the bench and that is something I did not want to happen.

"Way to be all serious, Parker," I pouted at him, puffing my cheeks out and acting like a little kid.

He merely chuckled in response as he parked into his parking spot, ruffling the top of my hair and pinching my cheeks. I attempted to bite him, but he quickly pulled his hand back, now laughing. "Sorry little sis, but someone's got to be serious in this family," he replied, slamming his car door shut and fixing his hair in the rear view mirror. I continued to stare at him as he finally fixed his hair to perfection, although it looked exactly the same to me, and saluted me goodbye. I continued looking at him as he walked over to a bunch of his guy friends, who were all giggling like schoolgirls. Parker shoved one of his friends over to a bunch of girls, who then threw skittles at a bunch of girls, shouting, “Taste the Rainbow!” They all cracked up laughing and high-fiving while they girls gave them all dirty looks. 

Oh yes, very serious indeed.

A/N

Well isn't her family just...interesting XD.

Enjoyed the chapter? Don't forget to comment, or vote. I'll see you guys again in 2-3 days!