7. Warm to Cold

"I could lift you up. I could show you what wanna see and take you where you wanna be. You could be my luck. Even if the sky is falling down, I'll know that we'll be safe and sound," I hummed along to the words that were sounding through my headphones, my head swaying side to side with the music. A physics textbook was open on my lap, my hands scribbling away on the sheet of paper that is called homework. Although Parker had persuaded my mom and dad to get my windows fixed, she was still against giving me back my curtains. So in an effort to avoid the dupe that left me to walk home, I invaded the living room, the space of social inquiries.

"Alrighty, I'm heading out now. You sure you don't want to come?" Parker questioned as he adjusted his hair for the fifth time that night. He stood in front of the mirror, attempting to spike it while trying to make it look disheveled and messy.

Looking up at him from my place on the couch, I could see he was wearing his favorite pale red button down shirt, his sleeves folded up to his elbows and dark wash fitted jeans. Although his shirt was loose, his biceps still bulged through with every movement he made to his hair. "Stop there, that's perfect," I instructed him, Parker nodding in agreement with a smile. "No thanks, I'm good."

"Why not? Parties are perfect for chilling. Maybe if others see you relax, they won't be so scared of you." Parker plopped down on the couch beside me, putting his arm around my shoulder.

Sliding my headphones down to my neck, I shrugged Parker's arm away. "I have no intentions of letting my guard down big bro," I replied, a slight smile tugging at my lips. "Besides, it's fun having people scared of you."

Lightly punching my arm, Parker laughed and stood. "That's true, you do enjoy that." He took another glance at the mirror, now fixing his shirt. "Nate will be there though, if you're wondering."

"Oh?" Although I was slightly interested, I pretended to be intrigued in what I was reading. "Tell him 'Hi' for me okay?"

"Or you could tell him yourself?" Parker taunted, shutting the textbook in my lap with a laugh. "Oh, speaking of Nate. You know you could've called him or me to drive you home instead of walking. He's offered to drive you home so many times whenever I was tied up with coach after school."

"Uhhh.." I trailed on, not knowing what to say. I hadn't told him yet that I lost my phone to the person living in the house 15 feet away, and if he knew, he would probably march straight over there and forcibly take it back himself. Resulting in a fight between the two. "Uhm...I needed the fresh air. School was stressful today. But, it's getting late and you need to go to your party!" I quickly half shouted, jumping up and pushing him towards the door. I didn't want him questioning me some more, because he could start getting suspicious. Grabbing his keys for him from the kitchen counter, I placed it in his hand.

"Alright, alright, I'm leaving." Parker laughed as he placed the keys in his pocket and his wallet in the back. "Oh, mom and dad went to go drinking at their friend's house. They won't be back tonight."

"Yeah, got it. Bye Parker!" Waving good-bye, I pushed him out the door and closed it shut. So much for being less suspicious. Now Parker probably knows something's up. Frowning, I crossed my arms and leaned against the kitchen counter. Oh well. Home alone again. Not having any friends did give a lot of home alone time. Most of the time, this time was spent exercising or lifting weights, but tonight, I had to meet with Christine. She probably needed her clothes for that party.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

The meeting with Christine was short and brisk. She wanted to hurry so she could catch the party with her pal Tiffany. Rolling my eyes, I hoisted the duffel of dirty clothes onto my shoulder. For a girl who is tight on money, she sure has a lot of clothes. Although the duffel was heavy, I was able to carry it with ease, whereas Christine was completely disheveled from lugging it with her, a sight that was pretty funny to see.