Chapter 1

I inhale and step into my new home. Who knew me, a high school girl from America, would now be living in Seoul, South Korea alone in her own apartment, and leaving her normal life and family behind. Shocking, right? But i eventually had to face reality and realize this is better for me, and my mom. Despite the fact of her worrying she won't have to pay as much. Plus, I will call her often so she can know I am okay and stop stressing over it.

Unpacking takes a few minutes, but I finally settle down and take a seat to catch up on things with my mind. Which, by the way, has been running thoughts 1287483 miles per second. All of them being about what to do tomorrow when classes start and how everyone will react towards me. And there is a lot of ways I think people will react. Most being negative.

What if I don't know enough Korean?

What if I accidentally do something that they feel offended by?

Won't they think I am weird and  different since I just came from America?

What do I do when I walk in?

What do I say when I introduce myself?

Those are some of the many questions running through my mind. I don't know how they will react, nor do I know how I will even react, but it is something I will eventually have to face. I can't avoid this forever. I guess I will just have to be the school year alone and trace memories back to middle school and beginning of high school. I guess since I am used to it it won't be a problem. But maybe since I am a foreigner they will find it amusing and try to become friends with me. I hope.

--

Class starts in a few hours so I finally decide to get up and start getting ready.

After washing up, I attempt to cover up the intense dark circles under my eyes from not sleeping last night with some make up. I couldn't shut my mind up, at all. Even with the lack of sleep I now have, I have to try to look pleasant. First impressions have a big impact in what someone thinks about you after all. I don't want to go to school on the first day with pale skin, dark circles under my eyes, and hair that is wondering in every direction there is from the tossing and turning last night.  I don't think they will like me if I look like a zombie who just woke up from the grave. I mean even my breath smell like I have something dead in me, which adds to the whole zombie thing.

I finally finish and look in the mirror at my now long, braided, ginger hair and my light blue jeans with a spaghetti strapped, flower print tank top, which I placed a grey sweater over. The dark circles under my light green eyes are now gone and my long eyelashes are curled up. You might as well put a sign over my head that spells out FOREIGNER in bright, red, light up letters. I completely stand out but it was my best attempt at looking formal yet pleasant.

--

"Ne, annyeonghaseyo. Jeni ibnida. Chonun miguk saram ibnida." (Yes, hello. I am Jeni. I am from  America.)

I casually bow down as I introduce myself to the class and ignore the stares that make me feel like I am the new toy and we are all first graders.

The teacher orders me to sit in the second to last row and just before I am about to do as told, I turn around and give her a questioning look. "There are no more seats in that row.."

"Just grab one from the last row." She responds.

There is a lonesome boy in the back and I decide to just take a seat next to him. My every move is being watched by my new classmates and they gasp as I take a seat next to him.

"Don't sit there!" The teacher almost yells, "I asked you to take a seat and put it in the second to last row. Not sit there."

"A- ne.."