Introduction

"Jenny, when will you be leaving for Korea?" I look at Amber who is staring up at me with her wild green eyes.

"Tomorrow at seven in the morning the plane leaves so I will have to be there by six." I smile at her and watch as her beautiful eyes start swelling.

"I'm gonna miss you! Promise you'll visit, okay? Me and mom will always be here if you need to ever come back!" I wipe a tear that starts rolling down her cheek.

"Amber you are seventeen now. Don't act like this." I put on a fake smile. I, honestly, am also hurting inside. I'm going to miss them too. They have been by my side for so long and it's difficult to leave them now. But I have to leave. And it will make things easier for my mother too. She works so hard for us, now she doesn't have to pay for both of us. Amber works too so she helps mom out from time to time. I really hope they forgive me for leaving them behind.

"I know you speak Korean and all, but the culture over there is very different. Are you sure you want to go?" She pouts.

"Yes, I'm sure. I know it is different over there, but I love their culture and I'm prepared to face whatever hardship that comes my way without it being a burden to mom too."

"You know that's not true. Mom doesn't find helping you a burden. She has done it your whole life and she even told you that if you ever need her help she will continue to help you."

I nod. "I know. Are you going to accompany me to the airport tomorrow?"

"I can't," she looks down "I have class."

"Oh that's right...and mom is away too...that's great." I say sarcastically.

"Sorry big sis. Oh and by the way, are you sure you will be okay over there? You know, being a foreigner and all..."

"I told you I'll be fine. I'm not the only person to have ever done this you know."
Well at least I hope I will be fine. I can't let her know I'm doubting it though. She will worry too much and make mom worry too, more than they already are.

"Remember to find me a cute guy to hook up with!" She winks and laughs.
"So...I guess this is goodbye isn't it?"

"We've been over this. Quit repeating things. I'm 19 I'll be fine. Plus, I'm going to have a roommate at the college dorm anyways. Now go to sleep it's already two in the morning and you have class and I have to finish packing."

"Alright fine." She finally agrees.
I give her a tight hug before saying goodnight and watch her walk to her room.
Me and Amber have always been really close, all three of us have actually. Ever since dad left us when Amber was a baby, the three of us was all we had.

It hurts to say goodbye like this.

--

I turn around one more time before getting in the taxi to head to the airport.
Goodbye, I will have a new home now, but I will still miss you.

I take out my phone and text Amber.
Amber take good care of mom okay?

I wait for her reply as I get in the taxi and head for the airport. Staring at the house through the window as it fades into the distance and a tear rolls down my cheek.

--

"Yes, thank you."
I hand over my luggage to the flight attendants and take my seat.
This is going to be a long flight.

I really hope I don't regret this.

"Passengers, please put on your seat belts. The plane will be departing now. There will be flight attendants around if you need anything. Thank you for flying with Korean Air and have a good flight." A male voice says over the PA. He repeated it twice, English and Korean.

In about 14 hours and 15 minutes, I will arrive in Seoul.

Goodbye, New York.