Chapter 1.

The Beginning of a New Life

Victoria sat on her light grey floating bed typing in her diary on her commandphone102 that could easily fit on her lap yet fit in her pocket as well. Biting her lip Victoria sighed, saved it, and closed her command phone. Placing it in her pocket. Looking around her small white room she stands up and walks over to the dresser and looks into the mirror. Studying her features. Her auburn hair glowed in the light of the room and her green eyes looked like a forest filled with mysteries. Victoria shakes her head at her reflection.
        She then walks over to the wall and presses a button on it. It activated her bed which flipped over and revealed a desk on the other side “technology these days” she muttered to herself. And walks over looking at the list of jobs she had set on her desk. Knowing once she chose one. She couldn’t change it unless a Congressman gave her permission which rarely happened. Victories sighs and puts two jobs to the side to put out and not choose. The government had given her 15 jobs that were available for her. Based on her grades for school and personality test she taken.  Thinking it’s sad that all of them are all made to get a job once they turn 18. She turned 18 three days ago and here she is choosing a job for the rest of my life. Victoria sighs she guessed now she’s on her own. Biting her lower lip Victoria blows air thru her mouth looking at the seven options she has left. All of them in technology and design. Knowing this was what she wanted to do.
        I have to make the choice by tomorrow night! Shuttering Victoria puts the glass job sheets down and sits on the round chair beside the desk looking around her round room. There were no square rooms, due to the cornered look the Government said it gave. Her eyes landing on her large round clear suitcase on the ground and gulps. Knowing she will also have to move out tomorrow and get her own apartment closer to her work place. Life is so unfair. We are not even alouded to live with our parents when we turn 18.
        Turning back to the jobs Victoria studies the space shuttle designer job but shakes her head and adds it to the discarded pile. Frustratedly looking at the other jobs picks the next one up. It was a job to be a Government reporter. Helping make the Governments look good and full of technology. Not showing the bad details about it. So you would have to keep it updated knowing what to post and what not too. Victoria looks thoughtfully at it thinking If I have to make reports on government then that means I have to know all the recent advancements and news in everything including science, Marks, space, health, and also I might be able to get my hands on some dirty secrets the Government is hiding from the public.
        A grin slowly forms on Victoria’s face. That’s perfect. Deciding that that was the job she wanted. Victoria tosses the rest of the job applications aside. She picks up a glass pen sitting beside the applications and begins filling out the application for the government reporter
        After filling it out Victoria still smiling puts it in a thin white envelope and puts it in her white dresses pocket, and stands up and turns and walks out of her room and goes into the hallway and walks to the stairway and looks down into the kitchen where she could hear her mom humming.  Knowing her Mom was trying hard not to show how much she was scared for Luke, her brother and remain strong for her daughter and husband. Victoria knew her Mom was hoping against hope that Luke would be able to complete his punishment and come back home. But Victoria knew that that was highly unlikely to happen.
Taking a deep breath Victoria walks down the stairs and into the kitchen seeing her mom smiles and says “I decided what job I want to take.” and grabs an apple from the bowl on the floating dining table. Taking a bite waits for her mom’s reply. Her mom Anna slowly digest the information then forces a smile on her face and ask “I’m glad. What did you end up deciding on?” Victoria chews and swallows then replies slowly. “I decided that I would take the Government reporter job. It will help keep me up to date in everything that the Government does and will do. I might even be able to get info about Luke.” Her mother Anna gasp and says with tears in her eyes “A Government reporter? Isn’t that a little too close to the Government don’t you think? I know that you will get a lot of information. But don’t you think it’s risky? I couldn’t bear it if you were taken too.” Victoria puts the apple on the counter and walks over to her mom and puts her arm around her. “I understand Mom. I know it will be risky, but all the jobs are risky to some point. Mine just might be slightly more. I want this job.” Victoria says.
Her Mom Anna nods and sniffs saying “I know, it’s just difficult to have another kid growing up and moving out so soon after Luke. An if you take that job, but I can see why you want it. I won’t stop you just be very careful to obey all the rules.” Victoria nods patting her mom’s arm then letting go. Looks her mom in the eyes and says “Don’t worry Mom I will be fine. If anything does happen to me though. It will be my fault. Understand?” Anna nods “I do honey.” Victoria puts a fake smile on and says “come on let's cook something good to eat. Then we can tell Dad at dinner.” And turns and looks through the cabinets for one of her dad’s favorite foods.
        At dinner that night Victoria’s dad comes in from his work and takes a deep breath and says “Aww, Now that. Smells wonderful. Hello my two favorite ladies smells like you cooked something from Paradise.” Victoria smiles at her dads thoughtful comment “Hello Dad, I’m glad you like it. It is your favorite Roast Beef Stew Homemade style.” Her Dad Charles licks his lips and said “I thought that’s what it was. Let’s go eat it then. My mouth is watering and my belly’s growling.” Victoria chuckles and walks over to the small dining room. Seeing the table wasn’t up. Turns to the glass screen beside the door and activates the table and three chairs. And watches them rise up from the floor. An begin to float in midair to to their magnet system. Her dad Charles follows her in. and he calls “Anna dear I’m home! And I’m waiting for your lovely face and the wonderful food!” He adds grinning
        Victoria’s moms Anna comes in through a different door carrying a pot of the Roast Beef stew and sets it on the table. “Here I am dear, I’m glad you like the food we prepared.” “Are you kidding? I love it!” Charlie replies excitedly sitting himself down on one of the white circle chairs and grabs a spoon and gets himself some food.
        After a few minutes of eating. Charles turns to his wife and ask “You seem quite dear. Is something wrong?” Anna takes a sip of water from her glass before replying then says “No dear, Just our daughter has decided what job she wants to take.” Charlie’s eyes brighten and turns to Victoria and says “Aww, that’s good news though. What job did you decide on?” Victoria smiles and replies cheerfully.” I decided to take the Government reporter  designer job Dad.” Charlie begins to choke on the food he had just eaten. Anna pats his back. Coughing he takes a long drink of water. Then clears his throat and replies “Wow, I didn’t expect you to take that job. It sounds like a type of job you would like. Very close to the Government though especially after what happened to your brother.”
Victoria nods “I know I wasn’t expecting myself to pick it either. But the more I thought about it the more I liked it. It will give me a lot of information. I know it’s close to the government but I have a tendency to like danger you know.” Victoria adds with a sly grin. Charlie nods and says “If that’s what you want dear. Your mother and I will support you 200 percent.”
Victoria gets up and walks over to where her dad is sitting and hugs him. “Thanks dad it means a lot to me to have your guys support.” Charlie grins blushing from the attention and hugs her back “You will always have our support honey.”  Victoria nods and returns to her side of the table and begins to eat happily. Anna continues eating slowly worried about her daughter and about what was in store for her.