Chapter 2 : Bygones

Zia Stephanie's POV

Zia Stephanie's POV

I began to feel anxious. My palms started to sweat, muscle tensed, and shoulders stiffened. Ready for something but I am unsure of what. It was as if I was splashed by a cold water, enough to make my system paralyzed in vain. I instantly froze on my spot. I keened my eyes at him, trying to study his features. But for a split of seconds, he vanished. I blinked.

The sound of the incoming vehicles of the police and sirens of the ambulance muffled into my ears. The press was gathered outside the school area, which added to the noise lingering in the air. Was it just a coincidence? Because that time the stakeholders were also busy having a board meeting.

It was like the world around me during this time became much more elaborately complex, every detail pronounced like zooming into a high definition photograph, Each pixel of color began to stand out on its own like taunting dots, mocking with wicked grins as if they were hiding each secret.

I was on my deep thoughts when I heard Aki asked, "Are ya' alright?" I was taken aback when she slapped my left arm. I winced and I furrowed my brows at her. I gently shook my head, up and down, lips turning up.

"I'm way more than fine," I said, grinning from ear to ear, raising my brows at her. Her eyes glinted with worry momentarily. Then, she nodded.

I pressed my lips together, forming a line. "Steph, can I take a look on ya' shots?" she asked. The corner of her lips curved into a smile. My forehead creased, shaking my head before I handed the camera.

I gazed at her, still furrowing my brows. "This poor little soul!" she said with her trembling lips. She batted her lashes, with her eyes swam with tears and added, "I think I'm going to have some nightmares."

I gently shook my head and gazed ahead. I saw Franz, wearing his new fitted shirt while wiping his sweat, walking towards us. His eyebrows were shut in lines as if he was carrying the world.

He stopped in front of me, jamming his hands in his pockets. "What's up?" I asked, looking up to see his reaction.

He blew a sigh and in his british voice, he said, "Still grey. There's no suspect, we've been terribly busy. I'm knackered. " I fought the urge to laugh in this serious conversation, but I failed. Franz folded his arms into his chest, scratching his head.

"H-Hey!" Aki looked up, smiling, almost reaching her eyes. Franz sat beside her, crossing his legs, while still wiping beads from his temple. Something was up with his two. But I could not figure it out...not yet.

"How is it?" Aki asked. Her eyes were looking at Franz. I snorted beside her.

"Gutted! We're still looking for the cause," Franz replied, still wiping his face gently.

I leaned against the benched, creasing my brows and out of the blue, I asked, "Are the doors in the left wing locked?"

Franz folded his arms, jerked his head to my direction and replied, "As far as I know, yes." He scrunched up his face and said, "But the locks were unlocked."