Mark

Mark discretely gazes in Sarah's direction from the corner of his eye. He can't help to feel attached to her, like she's a magnet pulling him in. The key - he sees that she was also drawn into it, like it has some kind of significance. The way it shimmers in the sunlight, you just can't help but turn your head at it.

Mark arrives at his house with Sarah just a few minutes later. It isn't a large house, but it isn't a small one either. It has three bedrooms: one for Mark, one for his parents, and one for any guest that's coming. That usually means his girlfriend (although Mark wishes that she could stay in his room). The house has only one bathroom, however, that's constantly being fought upon by the family. This is one thing that makes it annoying. Other nicks include the peeling paint on the kitchen cabinets, the ugly orange walls in the living room, and about a million other small things that no one bothers to fix. Mark's parents are usually too busy working to invest their time in any large projects, and Mark has so much schoolwork that it would be impossible to finish much.

Mark fumbles with his pocket to pull the key out, and Sarah can't help but giggle as he tries three times to unlock the door, much to no avail. Finally, on the fourth attempt, the door creaks open, and they're inside the house. There's a musty smell, and a small sheet of dust settled around the building is clearly visible.

"That's weird," Sarah says.

"What?"

"I thought that your parents always dusted the house on Sundays."

"You know what?" Mark looks down at the floor. "I think you're right..."

Mark exchanges a worried glance with Sarah. His concern isn't visible, but it's slowly building up in his brain.

"Mom, dad, we're home!"

Silence.

Sarah releases a sigh that's barely audible, but Mark can easily pick up on it. He recognizes every cue, every clue that she can possibly give about her current mood. She is clearly concerned, and a bead of sweat slowly trickles down her cheek. She looks at her boyfriend, but then walks ahead of him into the darkness of the next room. If Mark isn't going to look for his parents, then she will.