Chapter 13 - Dear Fountain

After ordering out smoothies at Pam's, we sat down at the park bench beside the mall's fountain.

"You wanted to tell me something important?" I skipped the small-talk and went right to the case. 

He itched the edge of his thin lips, before letting out a big sigh.

"Listen. I know there have been a lot of up's and down's since Aiden came. And I know that, because you always tells me the stories about you two. I mean, do I have a choice? You'll kill me if I don't listen to your little stories," he joked. I playfully hit his spaghetti shoulder. Okay. Maybe on purpose too.

"And with Mason being your "boyfriend"," he made goosefingers.

"Doesn't make things much easier either."

"Thanks for understanding Sam. But I kind of knew that before," I thought silently to myself.

"It was your plan with involving Mason in this, remember?" I tabbed my forehead.

"I know. But the thing is..."

I took a long sip of my smoothie, waiting excited for his answer.

"I'm leaving."

My body froze, but the cold liquid that was supposed to get down, got up instead. The sour, yet sweet vomit came quickly out of my mouth without touching my tongue. I cough crazily and squeezed my eyes together, hoping this only was a bad dream. A nightmare.

I opened my left eye carefully, when I saw where my smoothie-vomit ended on.

A poor, old lady, taking her grandchildren out for an ice cream was now covered in mango-smoothie and lunch.

My brain shut down, leaving all the control to my careless mouth. The worst mistake ever.

My fingers were ice-cold, but my back felt like a sauna. I couldn't hear the lady's scream, because of the dunking sound inside my head just seemed to become louder and louder. Before I knew it, my head was blood red.

"What did you do?" And who do you think you are, eh? Attacking an old lady like me. Youths, nowadays have absolutely no respect for older people. I hope not all of you youngs are like you," she told me off, like if I was one of her grandchildren. One of her actual grandchildren looked with afraiden eyes at me, hiding behind their grandmother.

"No, no. Don't be afraid," I said desperately to the little boy, who just sunk deeper and deeper behind his grandmother's sleeve. I tried hardly to ignore the upset grandmother shooting me daggers.

If that wasn't enough, the grandmother began cursing 19 centeries words while screaming at me to leave her grandchildren alone.

"I'm so sorry," I stamered out nervously and slightly afraid. Okay, who am I kidding? I was terrified.

"You should be," the old lady spat and took her grandchildren's hands roughtly and pulled them out of the mall.

Frustated, I pulled my dark-brown hair to north and south. I looked down at my almost-new white converse. Not so white, anymore. Now, they were mango-colored. 

"At least it wasn't her shoes," I mumbled under my breath.

"Are you alright?" Sam carefully patted me on my sweaty back, before drying his hand on his khaky pants.

"No," I gisped out. My whole body was sweating like a pig. 

"I have hoped on a less dramatic reaction, but that just beats everything I have imagined," he began laughing. I shoot him the death look, which he seemed to ignore.

After a couple of minutes, I finally stopped coughing and Sam and I clearned up the mess with small napkins from Pam's. The taste of my own vomit smelled just like the Physic experiment I did last Thursday. What was it called? Butyric acid?

"But what do you mean by, you are leaving?" I asked serious. All spor of humor was gone.

"My parents are getting a divorce, and my mom kind of wants me to move to California with her. We are leaving in a week," he added sadly.

I wrinkled my forehead and stammered out frustated:

"What? Can't it wait? You are in the middle of a semester," I complained.

"I know, but my parents got into a pretty ugly fight, and my mom wants to leave as quick as possible."

Now, it was my time to rub his back.

"I'm so sorry, Sam," I let out a little hulk.

"It's okay. Nothing to be sorry over," he mumbled the last part. We sat in silence and stared at the Wealth Fortune.

What was I supposed to say? I hope you feel better? That don't make sence, because nobody feel good in those situations.

I hope you will get better soon? That's just stupid and indirect cruel. It is the same as saying to a person:
"I know you are not happy. No matter how hard you try, you can't be as happy as me."

Running blank on ideas, I stepped up and walked slowly over to the mall's fountain. I digged in my pocket after a cent or two.

"What are you doing?" Sam sighed.

I gave him a weak smile and polished my money.

"I'm making a wish," I simply answered. I guess that made him curious, because he stood up and took a cent up from his pocket too.

"Me too."

He placed his hand on mine, before letting go and left his money there. The dirty, little metal smelled a combination between Sam's shampoo and the ugly metal smell.

"What are you doing?" I asked confused.

He raised his thick, blonde eyebrows and bit his thin lips.

"I want you to make a wish for me.".

"I have no idea what to wish for myself," he continued.

I nodded understanding, without really understand. My eyes closed formly, and let go the two cents, as they floated peacefully down to the bottom of the light-blue water.

"Are you done yet?" Sam asked.

I sighed and took his warm, soft hand. I took one last, deep breath, before walking away from the fountain.

"Yes. Let's go."

Better hope these wishes will be fulfilled. If not, I don't know what to believe in anymore.

A/N: I'm sorry for letting you guys wait for so long. I will try to update faster. If you don't mind, please leave a vote and comment on this chapter. If you really like this story, give this a shoutout to friends and other wattpadders!