ū n u s

Moving to a new city wasn't how I wanted to spend my last year in school

Moving to a new city wasn't how I wanted to spend my last year in school. A year to make a whole new set of friends may seem like a long time, but it's far from it.

I'm Mona and I'm 17. I graduate from high school this year and then straight to University. My brother Alistair went to Oxford along with my older brother Seb, and my father and grand father before that. So the stakes are pretty high for me if I do say so myself.

We moved from our country home in Cheshire to the middle of Oxford so that I'd be closer to home when I move to University. My place is pretty much guaranteed due to the Wylde family heritage there and the fact my father is dear friends with the Chair of the application and administration office at Oxford.

Before all of that I plan on finishing my A-levels at St Vestonia boarding school, one of the top fee-paying private schools in Europe. My mother attended the school along with my father; it's where they met to be precise.

-

I make my way through the corridors of my new school, boy's lockers on the right and girls on the left. I pull down the green skirt over my bare legs as I haul my books given to me at the front desk, towards my designated locker. The uniform was truly a nightmare. It consisted of a dark navy blazer with a white and green stripped trim and a navy skirt, a white and blue striped shirt and a dark green jumper. What a delight, but that's not even the worst part. Beige stripped hats with a green, white and blue ribbon was to be worn outdoors at all times.

I found my locker, 339, and placed my satchel on the floor before hauling all of my books into the shelf provided. I then hung my coat up and taped a picture of my best friend Lottie and I up on the inside of the door. Checking my timetable once more I made my way to my first lesson, English literature.

My English lit class consisted of me and 7 other people situated in a horseshoe shape in a rather large, dusty classroom. However, there was a seat unoccupied by a latecomer that people have been chatting quite fondly about about in the corridors. River Phoenix, I think his name was. The lesson began and I opened my new exercise book and wrote the date and started taking notes and highlighting necessary words in my copy of Romeo and Juliet.

The door burst open and in swayed a confident young man who walked tall with his chest held high.

"Finally cared to join us, Mr. Phoenix?" The professor snarled sarcastically, not turning an eye to the suave boy waltzing in 20 minutes late to his lesson.

"Sorry sir but I was held up" he sniggered wiping what looked like pink lipstick from the side of his mouth. He flicked a folded note onto the professor's desk and made his way over to the empty seat, two people away from me.