*****

Grandma and I went to the hospital to meet her doctor. Along the way, she occasionally lets out a cough and I can even sense that she is having a difficulty in her breathing. The way I see it, she must be sick or something. I just hope that it’s just a simple cold.

After having her check-up, we headed straight to the mall. This is my first time to shop with Grandma so I didn’t know that she was a big spender! A total shopaholic!

Our feet hurt so we decided to eat. We went to this classy restaurant and ordered food. While we were eating, she suddenly became quiet.

“Something wrong Grandma?” I asked. Her eyes were filled with sadness. I don’t know why.

She smiled weakly. “Today…is my birthday.”

My eyes widened. “Oh, happy birthday. I-I’m sorry I don’t know.”

“It’s okay, honey.” she released a deep sigh. “You know what, even though Alex and Vanessa divorced, they still prepare a surprise birthday party for me. But…every year, I don’t come because I was busy with work.” She continued. “Last year, I promised them I’ll come but I didn’t. And when I got home, I saw the balloons and cakes and presents still there. Vince was there too, sleeping by the couch. I was so tired that time that I just asked Maddie to clean them up. Suddenly, Vince woke up and saw me. He said ‘Grandma, aren’t you going to open your presents?’ And I said, ‘I’m tired Vince.’ He must’ve been hurt so he yelled at me saying ‘ I am tired of you as well! You shouldn’t have told us you were coming! We waited for nothing Grandma! Every year we wait for nothing!’”

There was a brief pause. But then she continued, “And because I am tired, I yelled back at him and told him that they should have not prepared in the first place. I guess that’s why he didn’t greet me this morning.” Her eyes start to well up with tears.

“Maybe he just forgot.” I said trying to comfort her.

“I hope so.”

After eating, we started to shop again. And while we walk, Grandma tripped.

Fortunately, I caught her. “Are you okay, Grandma?”

She nodded. “My head just – I don’t know.”

“You want to go home?”

She nodded.

I walked her to the car while her bodyguard carried our stuff. She rested her head against the seat and closed her eyes.

The fastest way home is when you take the road that passes the park. And that’s where we went.

As we drive home, we passed through the park and saw a familiar guy and a girl standing under the tree – a bit isolated from where the most people are. The traffic light went red and we stopped as children and adults pass trough the street. From where we are, I can clearly see the guy and the girl. And in my surprise, the guy is…Vince; and the girl is Elaine.

What is he doing here? I thought to myself. I thought he’s going to see Dave.

In a moment they stood there. Vince has his one hand on her shoulder and the other on her face. And in a blink of an eye, they were…kissing. And then the car started moving again.

I cannot believe what I saw! How could he lie to us saying that he’s going to see Dave when in fact he’s going to see Elaine! And why were they kissing!? A sudden mix of anger, disappointment and hurt came to me.

But in the end…I am hurt.

I didn’t want to go home. So I asked the driver to drop me off by the bookstore. And he did. I spent hours there. I tried not to think of what saw at the park but it keeps haunting me. I’ve finished seven of the ten books I bought just to divert my mind to something else. I didn’t notice that…it was almost sunset.