Chapter five

DAISY

"Are you breathing? Did you die? Should I get you a water along the way?" I panicked.

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"So, you like. . . are alive?"

"Yes, girl. But if you keep talking, I might just die." He gritted out.

"My name's Daisy." I mentioned. In the darkness of the night, it wasn't that hard to get back to campus without any attention, after taking an exit of the park where my friends wouldnt see me. Instead of wondering who the hell did this to him, how I was going to get back to campus before he dies and who he even was, I kept wondering why I didn't know Jason was his brother. Of course, I wouldn't know that. That explained how Alexis knew him.

"Ace." He forced out.

"What happened to you?" I struggled to say, his weight leaning on me making it hard to talk, let alone walk.

"Some guys." Came his curt answer. I decided not to question him further even though I was very curious, because talking seemed to physically hurt him right now. I said nothing afterwards, feeling bad for him. Whoever did this can go straight to hell.

We entered the grounds of our residence after a few minutes. I picked up my pace and tried my best to act as the most efficient support structure, but I swear my body only consisted of organs, blood and no muscles whatsoever, even though my biology teacher of high school would beg to differ. I had my arm around his waist and his around my shoulder while he limped against my body. By now, my cream top had a few blood stains on it, I made a mental note to throw it out.

"By the way I deserve a better explanation." I stated when we walked inside. When we walked past the receptionist desk and first floor most of the dorm room doors where opened. Some music was blasting from the rooms and people were having uncivilized and loud conversations with their neighbours. I thought people did something more constructive and school-wise at this hour, but it seemed far from it.

"We can't go through there. People would ask questions." Ace said thoughtfully.

'So, make something up. You got beaten by some random muggers on the street?" I suggested lamely.

"I wish," he muttered. "Let's just say, in this crazy people town, 'curiosity killed the cat' is well known."

"Care to elaborate?"

"Once you get me to Jason and I'm not dead, sure. Now listen up, down that narrow hallway there's an emergency exit up that stairs. That shall lead you to any root and floor, without bumping into anything crazy with a pulse." It was weird how he knew all this but was new to the residence just like me. Hell, I could barely find my room a week ago on the first day I got here. I didn't question him further though.

One hundred and forty-seven steps later, we finally made it to my room. I let out a deep breath of air, officially exhausted.

"I owe you for this. No one would've helped me."

I nodded stiffly. It's not that I didn't care - I cared too much actually - but having to drag him all way from the park was an extreme effort for me. I retrieved my key quickly. I had to remember that apparently Jason was the only one who could have helped him. Although I doubt, he had a medical kit, given the fact that Ace was bleeding. Luckily the stab wound wasn't deep, because as crazy as the inevitable situation seemed that would have made things worst.

"Come on. Your brother slash apparent doctor awaits."

"Thanks again."

When I pushed open the door, the first thing I spotted was Jason's back facing towards us- clearly considering his built form. I would have expected him to be playing Xbox, messing around with girls or not here at all, but the most surprising thing I've ever faced in the past year, was Jason reading a book. I was so shocked, I almost let go of Ace. If he hadn't kept onto me tighter, he would've probably toppled over considering his state. Jason shut his book the moment he heard the doors open. He scrambled around to face us and stuffed it under his pillow.