The One With The Arrest

Peggy and I went back to my dorm so I could sleep. Instead of sleeping I was sitting on Alex's bed with my knees drawn up to my chest. I was holding a cup of whiskey.

Peggy was sleeping on my bed. I stared out the window at nothing because it was two in the morning and it was black outside.

Technically it was Christmas.

Peggy finally woke up at six and I got up, ready to go back to the hospital to see Alex.

"Merry Christmas, John!" She said happily. I had long since finished the bottle of whiskey and was obviously drunk. I hadn't gotten rid of the plastic cup though.

Peggy frowned. "What?" I slurred.

"You're drunk."

"I'm twenty two!"

"I'm not letting you go see Alex when you're drunk, John."

"I need to see him." I whined.

"Maybe you should've thought about that before you drank half a bottle of Jack Daniel's!"

"Peggy."

"John, sit your ass down." She pointed at the bed. "You aren't leaving till you're moderately sober."

I groaned and flopped onto the bed. "I hate you."

"John."

I groaned again.

Peggy forced me to drink four bottles of water and take tylenol.

"I've peed like twelve times in the last hour Peggy."

"You're waiting another hour."

I got up and left the room, going to the bathroom for the thirteenth time. It was lunch time on Christmas Day and I haven't seen my boyfriend yet.

I came back to the room and opened my laptop. There was a file named 08/26/15. I opened it.

Today you (John) were in the hospital. I just watched you die in front of me and I'm not sure if you'll wake up. If you do wake up; John, I love you more than anything in this life, I will choose your happiness over mine any time. You make me feel things I've never felt before. When I'm around you I always get happier and my heart does the flippy thing. If you don't read this, I guess you'll be dead and I'll be living in a world where I have to do things without you. Which is not my idea of a good time. You always make my days better. I especially love when you are trying to concentrate and you play Green Day and All American Rejects and Smash Mouth and try to sing quietly. (P.S. its not very quiet singing.) I also love when you just stare out the window. You always look so content and that makes me happy. I love when you force me to get off my laptop because you're always right and I know I should take a break. I just can't because I get too into my work. I love how you sometimes think out loud and sometimes mumble things like "He's so cute." I assume they're towards me. I don't think you realize it though. I love when you smile, god you look so cute when you smile. You're worrying me, John. Please wake up. If you don't read this, I guess you'll be dead and I'll be living in a world where I have to do things without you. Which is not my idea of a good time. You always make my days better. I don't wanna think about what it'd be like if you weren't around anymore. And I don't wanna think about what you'd be like without me. I've seen it and its not pretty, I mean you died because of it. I am so sorry I did this to you. Please, please wake up.

I closed out the file.

"John?" Peggy's voice caught my attention.

"Yeah?"

"Are you coming?" She was standing at the door.

"Where?"

"To see Alex?" She sounded annoyed and I don't blame her. Alex has been in the hospital for one day and I already drank my feelings.

"Yeah. Yeah I'm coming." I said shutting the laptop and getting up.

Alex was still hooked up to oxygen. He looked stressed. I was sitting next to him, holding his hand. We were waiting on the test results that would tell us if Alex needed chemotherapy.

"John." Peggy came into the room holding a bag.

I looked up at her and raised my eyebrows. "Hmm?"

She pulled a small box out of the bag ant tossed it to me. I caught it and rolled it around in my hands. She walked over and handed Alex a small box as well.

"Christmas presents." She said.

"Peggy, you didn't have to." Alex said quietly.

"I wanted to."

"Thanks Peggy." I said, tearing off the brown paper.

"I didn't have wrapping paper so I used paper bags."

Alex laughed lightly, causing a fit of aggressive coughing.

I helped him up and handed him a cup of water. "You okay hun?"

He nodded.

I finished opening the present to reveal a Rubics cube.

"I figured you two would be spending a lot of time here." She said.

Alex held up a box containing a deck of cards. "Thanks Peggy." Alex said. He handed me the box and I took it, setting it on the floor under the chair I was in.

Doctor Hodgens walked into the room. He was holding a clipboard. "Okay Alex we have your test results."

"And?" I said.

"The good news is that we do not need to use Chemotherapy or radiation treatment. But we do need to run another test."

I let out a breath of relief. I felt Alex's hand relax in mine.

"I'll send a nurse to tell you about it, I have to head down to the pediatric wing and see if your room is ready." He paused at the door, "Okay?"

Alex nodded.

Doctor Hodgens left the room and I gave Alex a weird look. "Pediatric? Isn't that the children's medical branch?"

Alex nodded again. "They're having me stay there. There's more rooms right now because three kids went home from treatment and one, well one didn't make it." He said.

"That's weird." I said.

"And my body isn't big enough for adult treatments." He said.

I laughed at that. "That's cute."

"I still have cancer." He said.

"Don't say it like that."

"I'm in the hospital on Christmas because I have cancer, John. How else should I say it?"

I didn't respond. I know how it feels to be stuck in the hospital because of death. He's upset and I cant help him right now.

"I'm tired." He said quieter than everything he's been saying everything.

"Go to sleep, okay?" I squeezed his hand. "I'll be here when you wake up." I hoped that was enough for him right now.